vmax coil questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagco1

Reaction score
Hi all, what is the stock coil ohm size? Have any 1 install / used dyna coils on there vmax? How / were on the bike they was install? Have any 1 install the dyna coils that take dual spark plug wires if so what model coils and location on the vmax there was install. Thanks for your help.

Primary resistance is 2.4 to 3.0 ohms @ 20 C
Secondary (without plug cap) is 10.5 to 15.8 K Ohms @ 20 C

Don't understand your third question.

It wouldn't work as the firing intervals are all different.

As far as installing...

The back two coils are a snap. little more then getting under the seat.

The front coils are a world class bitch. To actually get to them and swap them out, your most likely going to have to take booth sides of the bike apart. They are between the cylincers, tucked up under the frame. There may be an easier way to do it, but I ended up disconnecting the electrics under the left scope, pulling the cooling plumbing on the right side, and disconnecting the vboost to get at them. After doing it, I half think it would be easier to pull the engine. But like I say, I have only done this once on the V-Max. I can tell you I have never had so much trouble on any other bike.

This is really unfortunate as from what I have learned, most V-Maxs will have cracks in their coils. Which means they will run fine until they get wet If someone GAVE me after market coils that would work, I doubt I would spend the time and effort to replace them (unless I was doing some other engine work at the same time)

I have not done it but there is a lot of people that do the "COP" conversion. Might want to search for info on that also there are some threads on how to get those front coils out you can find with search

Primary resistance is 2.4 to 3.0 ohms @ 20 C
Secondary (without plug cap) is 10.5 to 15.8 K Ohms @ 20 C

Don't understand your third question.

It wouldn't work as the firing intervals are all different.

Thanks for the reply... 3rd question have any 1 install the dyna coils on there vmax - if so what location on the bike they was install at. I would like to change out my coils to the dynateck/dyna coils trying to find what model dyna coils I need to buy. And if any 1 have the dyna coils install in the vmax bike.

Can the blue coils work with the vmax in the picture they 3.0 ohm's.

I have them on my KZ1000 and my zx7 what has a zx9 motor in the bike.

Attachments

• dyna coils.JPG
    dyna coils.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 20
Dynatek's does list coils for the Vmax on their site.
They are four individual coils. Not the duals like your talking about.

I have them on my bike.

Dynatek's deserves a hard kick in the balls though. The coils they sell for the vmax have the mounting holes 90 degrees from the stock ones. Mounting them turned into a fabrication job.

They perform well, been on the bike for years with no issues.

As far as installing...

The back two coils are a snap. little more then getting under the seat.

The front coils are a world class bitch. To actually get to them and swap them out, your most likely going to have to take booth sides of the bike apart. They are between the cylincers, tucked up under the frame. There may be an easier way to do it, but I ended up disconnecting the electrics under the left scope, pulling the cooling plumbing on the right side, and disconnecting the vboost to get at them. After doing it, I half think it would be easier to pull the engine. But like I say, I have only done this once on the V-Max. I can tell you I have never had so much trouble on any other bike.

This is really unfortunate as from what I have learned, most V-Maxs will have cracks in their coils. Which means they will run fine until they get wet If someone GAVE me after market coils that would work, I doubt I would spend the time and effort to replace them (unless I was doing some other engine work at the same time)

I have not done it but there is a lot of people that do the "COP" conversion. Might want to search for info on that also there are some threads on how to get those front coils out you can find with search

Funny - I have to replace my valve covers, so I was going to update my coils.

I will do a search on the cop conversion, But really like to go with dyna coils if I can find other vmaxers used them.

Dynatek's does list coils for the Vmax on their site.
They are four individual coils. Not the duals like your talking about.

I have them on my bike.

Dynatek's deserves a hard kick in the balls though. The coils they sell for the vmax have the mounting holes 90 degrees from the stock ones. Mounting them turned into a fabrication job.

They perform well, been on the bike for years with no issues.

Thanks rusty for the info, man is there really no way the blue coils in the picture will work man it would be nice if it could.

I'd go with the COP's mod personally, your not gonna see a performance gain with either the dyna's or COP's provided your stockers were working correctly but the COP's save a few lbs and free up some room and probably about the same money for Gannon's COP kit as the dyna coils and easier install. Just my $.02

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk

I went to there site could not find a listing for the vmax. but these come up when I search.

Attachments

• dyna coils 2.jpg
    dyna coils 2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 20
I'd go with the COP's mod personally, your not gonna see a performance gain with either the dyna's or COP's provided your stockers were working correctly but the COP's save a few lbs and free up some room and probably about the same money for Gannon's COP kit as the dyna coils and easier install. Just my $.02

Bang on the money - if you are going to replace then COP's are the way to go.
Remove the rear pair to give a bit of extra room if required and unless you are a masochist leave the fronts in situ.

Thanks, The cops looks like my old busa 2005 bike plugs I have them some where at my other house will they work to.. thanks

Thanks, The cops looks like my old busa 2005 bike plugs I have them some where at my other house will they work to.. thanks
Probably, it depends on the resistance of those COPs.
I'd buy the wiring harness with inline resistors from Gannon (or Sean Morley) to be safe and for ease of installation.
Gannon's kit was definitely a Plug and Play setup and I'm very happy with it.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?p=341401&highlight=Coil+Plug#post341401
Birdoprey has a whole thread on this Mod here:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5427

And NaughtyG has a very good write up on removing the stock coils including the front ones...

That's not entirely right. Not much of a gain (if any) if your still going to use the stock ignition box.
But, several dyno sheets are showing 5+ hp gain with the Dyna 3000 ignition and their mini coils. I doubted the claim when I talked to the guy on the phone, but all be damned, he was right.

If you want to go that route, your going to be looking for the DC3-1

DSC_0358%20(Small).jpg

That's not entirely true. Not much of a gain (if any) if your still going to use the stock ignition box.
But, several dyno sheets are showing 5+ hp gain with the Dyna 3000 ignition and their mini coils. I doubted the claim when I talked to the guy on the phone, but all be damned, he was right.

I'll remain skeptical on that one, 5 hp is really tough to come by on a bike with just ignition... I'd have to physically see it at the track before I'd believe it.

I'll remain skeptical on that one, 5 hp is really tough to come by on a bike with just ignition... I'd have to physically see it at the track before I'd believe it.

I doubt you would see 5hp on the track. 5 hp out of an ignition system isn't to hard to get if your tuneup/spark plug gap/coils are all set up right.

Somewhere here there is some posts by others who have them and are reporting the same results.

I doubt you would see 5hp on the track. 5 hp out of an ignition system isn't to hard to get if your tuneup/spark plug gap/coils are all set up right.

Somewhere here there is some posts by others who have them and are reporting the same results.

10hp in a 3000 pound car will usually get you a tenth, 5hp on an 880 pound bike definitely shows even with a bad launch cause it'll get you another 2mph or so up top. 5 hp is very hard to get out of ignition if your stock ignition is working properly and you've taken the time to do all the same things tuning. I do love the dyna ignition because of the rev limiter but out of all of the curves I went my best mph out of curve 1 (stock curve) and all the et's were identical but curve 1 had a solid 1.5 more mph than curve 4 but I didn't try the retarded curves admittedly.

Not all hp is gained on the top. Mid range is the most common.
Here is some coil testing (not dyna) done from a cat in Nz

CBR 1000
HP : Before coils : 174.97 after 179.87 (+5 hp)
TQ : Before coils : 110.14 after 112.43 (+2 rwtrq)

Power increase all through the rev range, +3 to 4 hp through the band and 5hp at max rpm.

Torque consistent (+2 tq) all the way through the rev range.

KAWASAKI ZX 10
HP Mid range : before 161.64 after 164.01 (+4hp)
HP TOP : before 184.81 after 185.93 (+1 hp)

935853_509102959159002_1770464780_n.jpg

Latest bikes to hit the dyno with Takai ignition coils.

Direct before and after results, no changes other than Takai Ignition Coils.
Testing by Danie Maritz Racing. http://daniemaritzracing.co.za/

CBR 1000
HP : Before coils : 174.97 after 179.87 (+5 hp)
TQ : Before coils : 110.14 after 112.43 (+2 rwtrq)

Power increase all through the rev range, +3 to 4 hp through the band and 5hp at max rpm.

Torque consistent (+2 tq) all the way through the rev range.

KAWASAKI ZX 10
HP Mid range : before 161.64 after 164.01 (+4hp)
HP TOP : before 184.81 after 185.93 (+1 hp)

The top end can be improved with tuning (adding fuel). Just before peak rpm.

Before 10000rpm the difference is +4 hp in favor of Takai where the graph starts to converge. Takai +1 hp at maximum rpm.

Mid range torque will still show at the track though because you are gathering more momentum going down the track. Peak numbers aren't really all that important to me either, what ever I can do to go quicker and faster in the 1/4 mile is really all I'm concerned with. A dyno is a useful tool to get you going in the right direction but we don't race dyno's and the best number on a dyno doesn't always mean the best time slip.

Back