straight up trade with used car dealer?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
So my wife and I want to get rid of her '05 Chevy Colorado. We're looking at either a Nissan Altima or Maxima. Don't wanna spend any money out of pocket, so we're looking to spend what we can get in trade on her truck, and no more. Found a car...and call me crazy, but I think that a used car dealer should be willing to do a straight-up trade with me for these to cars....am I crazy?

NADA Values
2005 Chevrolet Colorado

• Rough Trade In $8650
  • Average Trade In $9725
  • Clean Trade In $10600
  • Clean Retail $13875
2005 Nissan Altima

• Rough Trade In $7500
  • Average Trade In $8625
  • Clean Trade In $9525
  • Clean Retail $12225

numbers look right to me. u'll loose a bit but thats the cost of a dealership eh? whats the dealer say or have u not found one yet?

I think that you will be hard pressed to find that deal, since the dealership will be asking for full retail on the Nissan. Unless of course the car has a lot of miles which you wouldn't want anyways. I find it humorous that people think that the swap would be a downgrade. The Altima and Maxima are fine cars. I find the new Mazda 6 to be a significant step up though. I would agree that you should sell the truck outright as you will get more than you would on a trade in.

I have alot of respect for Nissans, am I big fan, but I still think you're looking at a downgrade as well, plus you probably knowmnid isze trucks hold thier resale better than many mid size economy cars, I found that out when looking for a cheap 5 or 6 y.o S-10 for my duaghter, there's no such thing....

but if you are really sure you want to do this then DO NOT trade the truck in, there just really isn't any way to avoid getting screwed on a car deal and adding a trade in to the picture only muddies the waters and makes your ass even juicier to the dealer.

Sell it out right through the Auto Trader or take it to Car Max and sell it outright if your in a hurry, Car Max will at least give you an Honest Eval of the car and a price quote that's good for ten days, they buy cars out right whether you're buying one from them or not.

Just remember that when you sell it to anyone looking to turn it over for a profit you are not going to get much more than the low side of trade in no matter where you go or how clean the car is....A car dealer might show on paper how goood he's doing on a trade-in value but the flip side of it is he's probabaly dicking you on the car you're buying, do your self a favor and keep these separate

The car I've found is at a small used car lot. The reason we want to get rid of it (VMAXIMUS i would normally be right there with you as I've always been a Chevy man, but this truck blows and we have no room for more than 2 people comfortably) is because we moved from Indiana to Arizona so we don't need the 4x4 anymore, and my wife wants something with better gas mileage. We've been trying to sell it outright for a monthish and haven't even had one single hit on it. And my asking price is way under book value. I'm asking $10,500 on craigslist for it. I have a feeling that it will be almost impossible for me to sell it outright anywhere. I have one more magazine I can try, but I'm not sure how it woulld work as it's a truck trader mag and most of the trucks in there are jacked way up. The Altima we're looking at is the higher-end 3.5 SE and it's only got 67K on the clock. This POS truck has almost 80K.

I actually had planned to go to Carmax and see what they would give us for it this afternoon, but we did that before we left Indiana and they gave us a shit offer on it. Who knows....we'll see.

its a moot point,Id be willing to bet that dealer wont do it.ive done ALOT of new and used car hagling,their all sons of a bitch that would make a buck off there mother.I couldnt trade a 11000 dollar subaru wrx,for a 8000 silverado. dealers PISS ME OFF,but good luck man.

Well it all doesn't really matter anymore. Went to check the car out today and it sold already. Damnit.
On the bright side, we went to Carmax and they said they would give us $7500 for the truck. To me, that's highway robbery. So after arguing about it with the wife, we came to a mutual agreement....as long as I can sell it for more than the amount Carmax will give us for it, she'll let me keep trying. I dropped the price on it to $9500 and relisted it on Craiglist...and I'll be damned if I didn't get a serious email inquiry about it within hours. Let's hope this pans out.

Anyone of my Arizona friends on here know the protocols for selling an out-of-state vehicle in AZ? I'm not sure if I should pay to title it in AZ and THEN sell it or if I can sell it with an Indiana title.

:punk:Cozy, Go to AZ MVD on line it will tell you how to sell out of state car in AZ. Good Luck, Spur

Thanks Spur! When do you wanna get together for the beer and billiards? We're thinking about starting the house hunt very soon since we want to be in a house by April, so I'm sure both my wife and I will have plenty of questions for ya!

Sell it outright then do a deal on it . Nissans are reasonably priced for what ya get . Not really a downgrade just depends on what you want .
As for Heretic saying the Mazda 6 is better , ive driven a few of them and not impressed with them , Mazda has always been a cheaper version of Ford since the majority come out of the same factory in Japan but each to their own .
Give me a 3.5 Maxima anyday . :punk:

:punk:Cozy, I'm in Sedona now, be home next week. We'll have a beer and answer your questions then. You want to be done by 4-30-10 I think to get your 8 grand. later, Spur

:punk:Cozy, I'm in Sedona now, be home next week. We'll have a beer and answer your questions then. You want to be done by 4-30-10 I think to get your 8 grand. later, Spur

We'd actually like to be completely moved into a house by the end of April. The lease we got at this apartment runs out after April so that's our deadline. I can't wait!

Enjoy yourself up in Sedona. I've heard it's beautiful up there, and we can't wait to see it one day.

Kozy. I'll post some pictures on here for all to see. See Ya, soon, Spur

If you are serious about getting rid of the truck - sell it yourself. Then use the money to buy. You will lose a GOOD CHUNK going to a dealership of any sort.

The altima is a really nice car. Try to get the 3.5 with the 5 spd. Fast to boot! comphy. Maxima? Always been a nice car.

The car I've found is at a small used car lot. The reason we want to get rid of it (VMAXIMUS i would normally be right there with you as I've always been a Chevy man, but this truck blows and we have no room for more than 2 people comfortably) is because we moved from Indiana to Arizona so we don't need the 4x4 anymore, and my wife wants something with better gas mileage. We've been trying to sell it outright for a monthish and haven't even had one single hit on it. And my asking price is way under book value. I'm asking $10,500 on craigslist for it. I have a feeling that it will be almost impossible for me to sell it outright anywhere. I have one more magazine I can try, but I'm not sure how it woulld work as it's a truck trader mag and most of the trucks in there are jacked way up. The Altima we're looking at is the higher-end 3.5 SE and it's only got 67K on the clock. This POS truck has almost 80K.

I actually had planned to go to Carmax and see what they would give us for it this afternoon, but we did that before we left Indiana and they gave us a shit offer on it. Who knows....we'll see.

Agreed! The Chevy Colorado is a P.O.S. We have several of them here and while they're reliable they are cheap cheap cheap. Noisy, plastic interiors don't hold a candle to the Nissan and Toyota rivals.

The Maxima is a great car. The 3.5L V6 is a great motor. You'll be happy with the car for sure.

You can't go wrong with a Subie either. A 2005 2006 Legacy GT will smoke a Maxima performance wise and still get close to 30mpg on the highway WITH AWD.

Just a thought.

Chris

Chris

If you are serious about getting rid of the truck - sell it yourself. Then use the money to buy. You will lose a GOOD CHUNK going to a dealership of any sort.

The altima is a really nice car. Try to get the 3.5 with the 5 spd. Fast to boot! comphy. Maxima? Always been a nice car.

OH most definitely. The 3.5 is the ONLY way to go. You don't have to educate me on the speed of it. I'm almost tempted to trade the wife my Miata for the Altima! I'd go through gas and tires like crazy though.

Agreed! The Chevy Colorado is a P.O.S. We have several of them here and while they're reliable they are cheap cheap cheap. Noisy, plastic interiors don't hold a candle to the Nissan and Toyota rivals.

The Maxima is a great car. The 3.5L V6 is a great motor. You'll be happy with the car for sure.

You can't go wrong with a Subie either. A 2005 2006 Legacy GT will smoke a Maxima performance wise and still get close to 30mpg on the highway WITH AWD.

Just a thought.

Chris

Chris
Are you tellin me that a 2.5 Subaru will smoke a 3.5 Altima or Maxima? Damn, why the hell am I lookin at Nissans!?!?!?!?

I drove an Altima with a 3.5, i actually had to get out and pop the hood to verify it was a v6 and not a 4 cylinder, noisy as hell, very slow to rev and essentially powerless. Subaru's are very popular with lesbians

Latest posts

Back