vmax on craigslist

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always a sad day when Max has to go for financial reasons, hope you get the price you want for it and manage to get another one again soon!

Not saying anything bad about the seller but this is not the first time I have read that someone has spent a grand on a carb rebuild, A GRAND! I know diagphrams are expensive but you can find a complete set off of a few year old bike for under four bills from Pinwall and the like. Am I off base in my thinking? Patmax

First off I am the seller...

Secondly yes I spent $950. I am sure it is way overpriced and there is actually a thread on here talking about it but the situation was nobody in Louisiana I trusted to work on this bike other than my friends mechanic. He works for yamaha and is the only guy I could find in the area with A LOT of experience with VMAX's. I paid for 6 hours of labor and it took him about 10 I believe and I got all the parts at cost.

Again i know some of you have done it yourself or had it done for $400 but this was my best option by far as it was a close friend of mine that is the GM.

Anyway thats my rant. I am pretty pissed off to be selling it in the first place without you saying I overpaid. And by the way I think the diaphragms were about $250 at cost price... no completely sure on that but I remember that being the chunk of the price on the cost. The only thing I couldn't get at cost was labor

MG

We had a local guy that charged $1000 also. Actually that is what he quoted. Don't think he got any takers that I knew about. He had to close his shop and go back to work for a Yamaha dealer when the economy tanked. He had a dyno and a pretty nice shop too. Most charge about $400 labor plus whatever needs replacing. Obviously that doesn't include any of the diaphragms.

I'm surprised you needed new diaphragms for a 2003. I've done the carbs on two 97's and one 95 and none needed any new diaphragms (either regular or accelerator pump).

Buying a set of used carbs can be tricky as you don't know what parts/repairs, etc they will need. Unlikely they will be in great shape though.

Don't think Patmax was criticizing but was just amazed at what some people charge for the work.

Latest posts

Back