Anyone every matchup against a Boss Hoss?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is a pic of a pair that pulled into one of the bars in laconia 2 summers ago. they look like theyre awful fast to me, and the sound was amazing to say the least. i've heard from a couple of previous v-max owners in n.h. who say its the next logical bike to own after a max! i also saw a pair of "chopper" style both using a 350 chevy small block. they had 4-5 at laconia this year, but i only went to see the new max, so no pics. one of them had over 500hp. all of them were in the 50-60k range too.

later odieoh24

Attachments

• 355.jpg
    355.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 51
is it a car or a bike...talk about a bike that cant handle...in the street my money is on the max on the track i have no idea

Just for grins......

I live in the 4th largest city in the U.S. (Metro Houston)

We have at least on boss hoss dealer that I know of,

I can't make a Sunday ride or trip to the local hangouts without seeing a boss hoss out and around.

I also live 2 miles from Houston Raceway Park, one of the nations premier drag strips.... and am out there at least once a month if not more and have been for 10 years now, and have...

Never, once, not ever, seen a boss hoss at the drag strip..

I know one guy, my mentor from another company I was with 20 years ago, that drag races on a regular basis, has had a boss hoss for 5 years now and says you could not pay him to take it down the strip,

He says it's a bitch to launch and unstable past 100 or so.... and all you gotta do is take a look at how it's built to see that it probably handles horribly at high speeds, with all kind of wierd chassis shit going on, talk about a frame flexing wobbler......

Just to back this up do a search for quarter mile times for a boss hoss and find out how hard a time you have finding one.....A real one where someone actually ran one down the strip not through a calculator......
They're out there but good luck finding them.......

I do believe a properly setup boss hoss would be faster than any vmax, and it doesn't need alot of gears to do it, it has huge amounts of torque that is more than adequate to launch a 1100lb bike even without lugging at 1700 rpm or so.....my friends has the "one speed" one and says it's no issue, were talking about 350ft/lbs of torque here on a bike that only weighs 1100lbs, they can gear it so that it's turning the right rpm at highway speed and let the torque do the rest.....

but I also think the average boss hoss and rider would shit thier pants or crash on every pass, hell the guy in the video that was posted got completely out of shape when he was launching......

There is a reason 1/4 mile times are hard to find for them, every one is too scared of them to run them that hard....

It's a "bar bike" pure and simple......

I have actually raced a SBC Boss Hoss, not on my Max though, on my old 1983 Honda CB1000C about 10 years ago. My father and I came across one on the road leaving Deadwood going back to Sturgis during the rally. He totally killed me, no chance to keep up at all. The fun part was watching him try to steer that monster through a long sweeper after he ran past me at over 100mph. I could tell he was having issues wrestling it around the bend. He started on the inside of the lane and was over into the shoulder before he got it around the sweeper, applying the brake the whole time. We pulled up next to each other at a stoplight going into Sturgis and I complemented him on the bike and stated that I didn't think that he was going to make it around the corner. He looked at me and said, "What are you talking about, this thing handles like a dream!?" I won't ever forget that day.

Just for grins......

I live in the 4th largest city in the U.S. (Metro Houston)

We have at least on boss hoss dealer that I know of,

I can't make a Sunday ride or trip to the local hangouts without seeing a boss hoss out and around.

I also live 2 miles from Houston Raceway Park, one of the nations premier drag strips.... and am out there at least once a month if not more and have been for 10 years now, and have...

Never, once, not ever, seen a boss hoss at the drag strip..

I know one guy, my mentor from another company I was with 20 years ago, that drag races on a regular basis, has had a boss hoss for 5 years now and says you could not pay him to take it down the strip,

He says it's a bitch to launch and unstable past 100 or so.... and all you gotta do is take a look at how it's built to see that it probably handles horribly at high speeds, with all kind of wierd chassis shit going on, talk about a frame flexing wobbler......

Just to back this up do a search for quarter mile times for a boss hoss and find out how hard a time you have finding one.....A real one where someone actually ran one down the strip not through a calculator......
They're out there but good luck finding them.......

I do believe a properly setup boss hoss would be faster than any vmax, and it doesn't need alot of gears to do it, it has huge amounts of torque that is more than adequate to launch a 1100lb bike even without lugging at 1700 rpm or so.....my friends has the "one speed" one and says it's no issue, were talking about 350ft/lbs of torque here on a bike that only weighs 1100lbs, they can gear it so that it's turning the right rpm at highway speed and let the torque do the rest.....

but I also think the average boss hoss and rider would shit thier pants or crash on every pass, hell the guy in the video that was posted got completely out of shape when he was launching......

There is a reason 1/4 mile times are hard to find for them, every one is too scared of them to run them that hard....

It's a "bar bike" pure and simple......

This is the most accurate information yet about the Bosshoss at the dragstrip.
This is why I said I need to run a boss hoss here to get the launch down. Thats the key to launch without blowing the tire off called back peddling. I agree no one can just throw a leg over one and make a 10.20 pass! The reason you dont see many 1/4 mile times are most buyers of the Boss Hoss are just show offs and not performance guys! Performace/ Racers tend to lean towards sport bikes.
Very accurate. Scared to run one at a 100 mph, if you ever ran a VMAX topped out at 155 (not for the faint of the heart) I am sure 130 on BOSSHOSS is very similiar to this situation.

I know this is old but those boss hoss' have such a hard time connecting that rear wheel it negates all that power, im pretty sure a gen 1 vmax would be able to beat it, and a gen 2 deefinitely beats it, granted it wasnt around when you posted this

One of my fire-rescue co-workers had a Cobra trike, which had a 4bbl small-block Chevy & an auto tranny. It was fun to watch him ride it, and it had some good acceleration after it was rolling, it jumped to-it pretty-well. But he wouldn't do a stationary burn-out/launch, and he had dozens of vehicles of all-sorts through the years, from 1930's to contemporary, trucks, vans, cars, sports cars, and Harleys, lots of Harleys.

I offered to race him on my 1 year-old FZR1000, but while he'd trashtalk my 'rice-burner,' he knew better than to race me. So, no direct heads-up racing results to report, but as was mentioned, I bet a trike model w/an aluminum big-block & a good rider on a prepared strip could make a run that would be an eye-opener for a lot of sportbike guys.

Pwr to wt sure exceeds a Vmax and all other things being equal the torque of a V8 is hard to beat. I snapped a couple pics of a yellow one at the Sturgis ralley before I stopped going completely, it was definately a BBC, had 502cid painted on it, NOS bottle and a supercharger the size of a child or small woman. Oh the eye candy! Still it is a novelty bike, like HD, but to an even greater degree. I doubt they exist because a Busa or ZX14 just lacks the snort required to sate a Boss Hoss buyer. Where to go when that Kawi H2 is just not doing it for ya anymore haha.

They sure are a bunch of fun!

State Farm will not cover my 700 HP Boss Hoss on the strip - at least that's my excuse. :rofl_200:

Attachments

• D7A87BD7-AA0B-405D-BF20-2F84CDA6FEA0.jpg
    D7A87BD7-AA0B-405D-BF20-2F84CDA6FEA0.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 36
One of my fire-rescue co-workers had a Cobra trike, which had a 4bbl small-block Chevy & an auto tranny. It was fun to watch him ride it, and it had some good acceleration after it was rolling, it jumped to-it pretty-well. But he wouldn't do a stationary burn-out/launch, and he had dozens of vehicles of all-sorts through the years, from 1930's to contemporary, trucks, vans, cars, sports cars, and Harleys, lots of Harleys.

I offered to race him on my 1 year-old FZR1000, but while he'd trashtalk my 'rice-burner,' he knew better than to race me. So, no direct heads-up racing results to report, but as was mentioned, I bet a trike model w/an aluminum big-block & a good rider on a prepared strip could make a run that would be an eye-opener for a lot of sportbike guys.

I doubt those trikes could do a stationary burnout- Two gigantic rear car tires would very easily just push the skinny mc front tire.

I ran across a boss hoss trike at Americade one year. Big fat rear tires. Dunno what engine it had but sounded big block to me, not the default 350. I was on the Z1000 at the time. Off a stop light he goosed it and that thing absolutely f'ed off. I wasn't expecting a race, but attempted to run him down with the Z and wasn't anywhere close. Even once I got into the power, I could tell he was still gaining on me. He let off pretty quick (probably by 90-100mph or so), but yeah, when they can actually hook up the power certainly does scoot the things away.

Although to me analyzing the performance with them is kind of missing the point. They're a big chunk of conspicuous consumerism, a look-at-me codpiece for the well heeled. Nobody buys them because of the performance.

I think that's part of the 'thing' that they can run balls to the wall to 100 mph but after that, things are pretty sketchy. Absolutely no aerodynamics at all, atrocious feel at those speeds, lift, wander, top-heavy, while a performance bike is made to be capable at the speeds above 100 mph, the Boss Hoss is not. No, I've never driven one. Nor would I want to.

The big sportbikes are closing in on 150 mph in the 1/4-mile, I doubt there are many Boss Hoss owners willing to hold onto an open throttle that long to generate those speeds, if they were capable of them, which I don't think they are.

Here's your chance to own your very Boss Hoss starter kit! Located in ocala FL, Stop in & visit the Don Garlits Museum while you are there.

B0SS HOSS ZZ4 MOTORCYCLE PARTS - $4000 (OCALA, FL)

condition: excellent
make / manufacturer: BOSS HOSS
model name / number: MOTORCYCLE
I HAVE FOR SALE, REAR END PARTS OF A SENIOR OWNED 1999 BOSS HOSS ZZ4 2 WHEEL MOTORCYCLE, TRANSMISSION 1 SPEED AUTO, BELL HOUSING, SWING ARM, BELT, FENDER, SIDE COVERS, HEADERS WITH CHROME COVERS, WHEEL/TIRE/ROTOR/PULLEY/CALIBUR, ALL PARTS ARE IN GREAT CONDITION WITH 10,000 MILES ONLY ON THEM.. ASKING $4,000 OBO.. I LIVE IN OCALA, FLORIDA..CALLS ONLY (NO TEXT) 386-402-6371

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mpo/d/b0ss-hoss-zz4-motorcycle-parts/6588887707.html

Latest posts

Back