OEM or Aftermarket Grips

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
I need to put new grips on the Vmax. Cut off the old ones, they were aftermarket and coming apart. The handlebar is 7/8 inch and the grip needs to be over 5 1/2 in length, that is fine for the left side.

However, the right side handlebar consist of the 7/8ths handlebar plus a grey throttle tube covering the handlebar at the end that goes inside the right side electric switch/throttle control unit. The grey tube is what twists on the outside of the handlebar and the twisting on the inside of the switch makes the throttle cables control the carbs.

My estimate is that the grey tube is 1 inch. My grey tube has been carved on nearest to the switch in an effort to make the grey tube 1 inch in diameter from the switch to the end of the handlebar. I do not know what was carved off, don't know what it looked like OEM.

So I have seen grips out there and for the vmax, they are 7/8ths grips both left and right. The 7/8ths is too tight for the throttle grip. Don't really want to buy 2 sets with different sizes. I could buy OEM grips and spend $80-$90. That consist of the special grip for the right that contains the grey tube so I guess I would have to install into the right switch, don't really know because the picture does not show. Also 2 end caps for left and right, the left grip, and the left metal chrome piece that goes on first and fits against the left switch unit.

Looking for suggestions. May be obvious but like to read anyway. Thanks!!

If you are buying grips that have the same size for right and left then they are shit grips. The normal set of grips does come with one side large to go over the throttle tube. We sell many grip types but by far the most popular are our Kuryakyn Grips and our Driven D3 Grips (most sold are this type).

Sean

I personally prefer the D3's for a thinner feel. The Kury's a fatter if you like that feel. Of the Kury's I like the Flame pattern only because it's not bumpy like the ISO's. As noted we sell both.

Sean

Thanks alot. You made it very simply for me. Bought the Kuryakyn 6241s.

Cushman, I originally purchased the same Kury iso grips. Just a heads up, you will probably have to trim out some of the rubber on the inside of the grip where it sits next to the switch housing. Unless that is the part someone trimmed down on the gray tube. There is normally a ring in that spot that is larger than the rest of the tube.

I didn't like the feel of the iso grips myself. Sold them to a forum member in England and got the D3's from Sean. Much better imo.

EDIT: Look at post #6 on this thread. They were talking about grinding off the ring, but I just cut back the rubber inside the grip and slid on perfect.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=7622&highlight=throttle+tube

What model no. of the D3 you bought from Sean? I will try the K. 6241s. I kind of like a slightly fatter grip. We will see.

Latest posts

Back