How do I check the oil level, I know it's dumb question =/

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrimerman

Reaction score
I've owned a ton of bikes, but I can't seem to find an oil window or dip stick. I just bought this bike and it is modded out like crazy so maybe there I should be checking there is a pressure gauge mounted.

As you sit on Max, down by your right foot, between and below the cylinders is a sight class with two lines, be in the middle or a small ways above the two lines.

O

As a follow up nub question. This is my first bike with the sight glass, is the level supposed to be read when hot or cold? Based on the manual I'm assuming hot.

doesnt matter. what matters is if the bike is on the kick stand or on the center stand. i check it on the center stand. ive found that if its checked on the kickstand, if near the low line the damn oil light keeps coming on. its not hurting anything but i dont like seeing it.

these bikes all use a bit of oil. id rather have mine up than down. on a 2000 km road trip ill use 3/4 of a litre.

peace,
evan...

I check it on the center stand as it's most vertical position that doesn't require 2 people. The oil in the sight glass moves down to acceptable when running - and is over the top when not.

I still see the oil light when really on the bike - I'm ok with that.

As a follow up nub question. This is my first bike with the sight glass, is the level supposed to be read when hot or cold? Based on the manual I'm assuming hot.

Proper procedure is bike level left/right and front/back. Engine warm. Anywhere between the lines is good.

I Iike to check the leval cold. Let the oil drip back down to the pan. This way your not over full. I like about 3/4 up the sight glass, on the center stand. The side stand will give you a lower reading of course.
Steve-o

I don't have a center stand.I just hold bike level while knelling down.make sure your grip/throttle is secure and won't slip off bike.I like mine @ 3/4 as well.

I don't have a center stand.I just hold bike level while knelling down.make sure your grip/throttle is secure and won't slip off bike.I like mine @ 3/4 as well.

I tried that years ago and ended up with my 94 on top of me and pinned to a work bench.:rofl_200: I put a centerstand back on. But,,, got the DOH Award in the process. I have now bought a harbor freight basic stand to hold the 89 up. It has the tabs cut for the Kerker System.:bang head:

There is a thread here regarding using a mirror to check. Put an old one up somewhere near the bike.
Steve-o

I'm fairly sure the correct level is between the lines with the engine off, and the bike vertical (on center stand). Having the glass full with the engine running seems like it would be overfull and you might bet oil barfing into the airbox.

You check your car's oil with it off....not with it running. Bike is no different. You just have a sightglass instead of dipstick.

Ignore the oil light. It's meaningless. Mine came on all the time, even on 3rd/4th gear roll ons. I had an oil pressure gauge, which is far more useful. If you have pressure, your engine is getting properly lubed.

The vmax is the only bike I've owned where the oil light is a level switch, and not a pressure one. Stupid. Would probably be pretty easy to convert it to read pressure, but also just as easy to install an actual pressure gauge.

Bare in mind that when you put it in the center stand the bike is tilting forward so the level rises. Put it in kickstand and kneeling by the right side pull the handlebar until you feel no side push and ask someone to keep it in that position then you can lean down and have a peek. Like people said between the 2 lines is good. Too much oil is harmful also because the oil pressure rises more. Every time one does an oil change the oil must be added to the proper level then run the bike to warm it up and then recheck for level because just as with coolant the oil will get into the tight spaces and air pockets and the level will drop while bike is warming up...

one guy mentioned just getting like a little mirror on a telescoping rod that way u can sit on the bike and check the oil.

When I ck it I have it on the tires & hold it straight up holding onto the throttle side grip n kneel down . Just make sure bikes perfectly straight n ballanced

Latest posts

Back