Note to self.....Doh!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Note to self;

Automatic dishwasing detergent and aluminum don't get along well.

In a moment of sheer laziness (and Michelle not being there to stop me) I decided it would be a bright idea to run my heads thru the dishwasher to get all the polishing compound and loose aluminum powder off after porting, polishing and lapping seats.

That shit pitted the aluminum. Didn't bother the seats and guides, but gonna have to use a brake cylinder hone on the bucket holes now, the rest of it's cosmetic really and can be dealt with using scotch bright pads.

Crap!

Oh dam!!!! I wonder if your dish detergent has caustic soda in it.. that will deffinently corrode aluminum. Its what they use in oven cleaner.. read the box or bottle see if it says its corrosive.. if it doesn't call them up ns say u need a new vmax motor!! :rofl_200: I think u need a d'oh award

Even Dawn dish detergent will do this. I manufacture laser hosts and got lazy and decided to clean the barrels off in a 5 gallon bucket full of dish water. It totally pitted the aluminum. It has to be acidic to clean it apparently.

If your dishwashing detergent box don't have a warning on it SPECIFICLY warning against putting Vmax parts in it, I'd get a good lawyer and sue their pants off......:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: (you know, there'd be at least 30 lawyers in your area, alone, that'd fight to get your business):biglaugh:

yeah Ive been there too...You would think that the dish washer company OR the soap manufacturer would put a disclaimer about running engine components through them OR cleaning with them...I have used the dishwasher to clean heads before but never with detergent only for the hot water. Must be some kind of reaction in the soap when heat is applied with water? I have hand washed with dish soap before and didnt get any negative reactions or damage from it..

I never would have guessed that would happen. I don't use a dishwasher but have cleaned many parts with hot water and dish detergent

Happened to me to my ISR calipers when i wanted to remove the grime. I had to repolish the whole thing...

I got them back to where they need to be.
The brake cylinder hone tool was too rough, I rolled up scotch rite and chucked it up in a drill and repolished the cam bucket holes and cam journals. They're fine now. Gonna take them and have them surfaced slightly too, there's some "itching" scars from the old head gaskets I want gone.
After that they'll be ready for assembly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back