master cylinder replacement lense?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88vmx12

Reaction score
a while back I thought I remember reading where some of you . Had info on a replacement lense for the brake and clutch masters. Please let me know where it is. I have never had any luck searching this sight for info. I have no idea why but I do. I will continue to search until I hear back

Thanks again Gannon

I did this in the past..the watch crystal does work. I also put a properly sized O ring in the bore to also hold the glass along with silicone. I also found you can press out the original site glass if you use a small enough C clamp. So if you want to chrome press it out first.

I did this in the past..the watch crystal does work. I also put a properly sized O ring in the bore to also hold the glass along with silicone. I also found you can press out the original site glass if you use a small enough C clamp. So if you want to chrome press it out first.

Thanks for the tips I will pass that on to my friend. I am using Nissen masters.

Gannon

http://www.newrivercyclesalvage.com/sight glass.html

I got mine from this guy. He was very good to deal with and I'm happy to recommend him. He should have the measurements you need for the Vmax M/C's since he just got them to me.

Also, for searching this site, I always put a search item into Google, and then add "site:vmaxforum.net". So, try typing in "sight glass site:vmaxforum.net"

Good luck!

yukoner how are you masters with new sight glasses holding up? i need to get some chg and just found your link. are the new lenses rtv'd in or with a oring?

Ive got the same ones, like'm. I suggest using the same size for both, the stock windows on the max are two different sizes from the brake to the clutch, I poked out both windows and noticed a ring inside the hole on one(can't remember which) and it needs the smaller window but if you remove the ring (pop it out) they will both be the same size. I think its 14mm but don't hold me to that. Make sure to request that when you order. I also used a couple "O" rings to take up the depth of the hole so the window was flush with the outer edge of the master.

They are RTV'd in. Use clear or black with a tooth pick, no pressure on the glass so it doesn't take much.

thanks for the info. so the oring goes in first then the sight glass?

Well that's just what I did, Once you pull out the old lens you'll notice its deep and both have a metal piece that keeps the fluid from sloshing. I kept those in but for some reason the factory put a small ring in one making the window smaller. The "O" rings (I found at a parts store) just fit inside the hole and take up some slack so the glass isn't sunk back too far. I think it looks better when they're flush with the outer surface.

Attachments

• Vmax Parts (5).jpg
    Vmax Parts (5).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 67
Well that's just what I did, Once you pull out the old lens you'll notice its deep and both have a metal piece that keeps the fluid from sloshing. I kept those in but for some reason the factory put a small ring in one making the window smaller. The "O" rings (I found at a parts store) just fit inside the hole and take up some slack so the glass isn't sunk back too far. I think it looks better when they're flush with the outer surface.

what did you paint your master with? looks good

Reviving a death thread. Can someone give me some updated info on where to find the replacement lenses? Thanks!

Remove your old one and measure the opening dia. & then go to a watch repair shop for a high-quality lens, or get one off ebay. There is no real pressure on the lens so any glue which is impervious to brake fluid will work. Let it set-up for a couple days to make sure it's well-dried.

I bought a set of several lenses specifically for the master cylinders from ebay but haven't installed them. A cheap way to go by the kids w/no $ was to use a dime epoxied in-place.

I found JB weld works pretty good, but the lens being glass worries me now.
Maybe I'll try a coin! Good thinkin' Medic.

Go w/glass or the following. I don't see any problems. Don't they use quartz or sapphire for the watch lenses? Just make sure it is secure.

I applied a thin bead of Hondabond to the master, inserted the glass and turned it 90? for a good seal, then another thin bead of Hondabond to the outside edge of the glass and an o-ring....kinda acts like a thin black frame for the glass.

Been filled for a couple months with no problems.

This link is still viable: http://www.ofrei.com/page_176.html
Just make a very accurate measurement of the opening and choose the correct glass from their stock(possibly 14mm).
Try using a o-ring to help seal/ as a spacer for the glass to keep glass flush with outside of master.
It looks like black RTV adhesive/ Hondabond/ epoxy are adhesives that will work to hold glass in place.

This link is still viable: http://www.ofrei.com/page_176.html
Just make a very accurate measurement of the opening and choose the correct glass from their stock(possibly 14mm).
Try using a o-ring to help seal/ as a spacer for the glass to keep glass flush with outside of master.
It looks like black RTV adhesive/ Hondabond/ epoxy are adhesives that will work to hold glass in place.

That's the place where I got mine from....but ordered them just a touch too big. Not a problem tho, a little emery cloth around the edges shaves them down easily enough.

Latest posts

Back