Fork Spring Question...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVxNitemare

Reaction score
Ok, so I've read the FAQ's and the instructions and the service manual for doing my front fork springs and I'm still confused. Hopefully someone can set me straight.

2005 V-max.

1. To install the progressive lowering kit (progressive springs, and 1 inch lowering kit) do I have to take the tubes apart or can I just remove the damper and slide the works out? If so I need to buy the damper tool right?

2. Do I need to replace the seals?

If either of the 2 has to happen then I'm taking it to the dealer cause I think it's out of my league.

Thanks in advance.

Hey man. I don't have ananswer to your question, but did you see the write up HERE? Disassembly isn't as tricky as u might think.

Ok, so I've read the FAQ's and the instructions and the service manual for doing my front fork springs and I'm still confused. Hopefully someone can set me straight.

2005 V-max.

1. To install the progressive lowering kit (progressive springs, and 1 inch lowering kit) do I have to take the tubes apart or can I just remove the damper and slide the works out? If so I need to buy the damper tool right?

2. Do I need to replace the seals?

If either of the 2 has to happen then I'm taking it to the dealer cause I think it's out of my league.

Thanks in advance.

1. i believe you can leave 'em in:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5329

2. no.

To install new fork springs (not lowering springs) you do not have to tear the forks apart. Just take the top cap off pull out the spring, drain the oil, put in the new stuff, adjust your preload as req'd and hit the road.

To lower your forks either with the progressive lowering springs or with lowering blocks or with your own pieces or metal or pvc pipe, you have to disassemble the fork tubes from the lower leg. This involves removing the bolt on the very bottom of the lower leg. You can try an impact to get the bolt loose or you can fab your own tool tool to hold the damper rod while getting the same bolt loose.

You don't HAVE to replace the fork seals if they aren't already leaking and you are carefull during disassembly/reassembly. IMO you should though. May not be a bad idea to get the washer that goes on the bolt that holds the damper rod in too. Other than that, you should be fine. Some guys go for new dust seals but if yours are good, not torn, and still pliable and you don't gouge them during removal I would reuse them.

If you have tools, I would suggest you try it yourself. Take your time. Read up on it here, and check the manual.

Or, you could always just raise them up in the tripple trees. Thats the easy way out:biglaugh:

Your seals are probably original ( '05 ) If you're changing out the springs , take the extra time and replace the seals . Good for your peace of mind.

Ok so it looks like I'm going to be doing the seals too then. Well I can try this myself at least and if I run into trouble I'll bring it in to yamaha. Where it's a 2005 maybe I'll get lucky and the bottom bolt will loosen without the need of a damping rod tool. If not I'll have to take it in at that point and have it done because I think the 2005 has a round hole and not a hex that I could make a tool for.

Ok so it looks like I'm going to be doing the seals too then. Well I can try this myself at least and if I run into trouble I'll bring it in to yamaha. Where it's a 2005 maybe I'll get lucky and the bottom bolt will loosen without the need of a damping rod tool. If not I'll have to take it in at that point and have it done because I think the 2005 has a round hole and not a hex that I could make a tool for.

yours will almost definitely have the circular kind. you'll want to try to compress the forks as much as u can and use an impact wrench to get the bottom bolt free. if that doesn't work i think chris used a broomhandle.

i am not going to use a new washer on my bottom bolt b/c they are $10 apiece! damn

Latest posts

Back