More Bling Polishing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm...... Maybe ill try spiral cotton wheel with black compound first.... thanks man. Says after black use brown on threaded spiral wheel... then white on loose cotton. Did you use brown or the red compound

I tried the brown on a sprial sewn wheel after the black w/sisal. I couldn't get it cleaned up so went back and sanded the marks out and used black on spiral, then brown on sprial.

I tried the brown on a sprial sewn wheel after the black w/sisal. I couldn't get it cleaned up so went back and sanded the marks out and used black on spiral, then brown on sprial.

What kind of machine are you using Mabdcmb..you dont need black compund on any vmax parts black compund and a sisal wheel is way to course think of it more like a File..maybe if a part was sandblasted with course sand you could start with that..I promise you with a buffing machine of some kind and strip the paint then brown with spiral cotton wheel and then white with loose cotton wheel you can get a nice smooth shine then if you want red or blue.. I use Denim wheels sometimes on things and even that with brown is will cut almost to much..a sisal wheel is rough enough it will take light road rash out of a scoop..I even used a spiral cotton wheel on these SS bolts:punk:

Attachments

• 2013-03-13_20-32-01_904.jpg
    2013-03-13_20-32-01_904.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 2013-03-13_20-31-17_832.jpg
    2013-03-13_20-31-17_832.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 2013-03-11_21-22-05_156.jpg
    2013-03-11_21-22-05_156.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 2013-03-11_21-23-58_742.jpg
    2013-03-11_21-23-58_742.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 41
Just a thought for you2low. maybe you could take a common part for vmax. Go from just after removal, go through the steps front the beginning to the end with what wheels/compounds and in what order. Take pics or video of each step. I've seen a lot of good info from you. It would just be good to get it all in one comprehensive thread. I'm sure there's a lot of people watching this thread, that would give polishing a shot, with a "how to" like that. I know personally, this site has gotten me to do 99% of the work myself. I wouldn't have even thought about tackleing these projects myself, But because of specific how to's, and advice from forum members, I've done it right and saved a ton of money. :punk::eusa_dance:

Just a thought for you2low. maybe you could take a common part for vmax. Go from just after removal, go through the steps front the beginning to the end with what wheels/compounds and in what order. Take pics or video of each step. I've seen a lot of good info from you. It would just be good to get it all in one comprehensive thread. I'm sure there's a lot of people watching this thread, that would give polishing a shot, with a "how to" like that. I know personally, this site has gotten me to do 99% of the work myself. I wouldn't have even thought about tackleing these projects myself, But because of specific how to's, and advice from forum members, I've done it right and saved a ton of money. :punk::eusa_dance:
Yeah im going to do that in a week or two.. I just been so busy trying to get my bike done:bang head: that I been trying to answer and post things late at night.. I just got this max less than 6 months ago I think i have spent more time trying to get it done than i nhave riding it (WAIT )I know I have Spent More time working on it than riding it:bang head: almost done for most part..For now..:rofl_200:but Yes I will do a "How To" on Polishing.. :punk:

Just wanted to thank You2low for the buffing tips, tried my luck today and really happy with the results! The part by the speedo you can't really see when the flyscreen is on so I'm not worrying about it but it's obvious if you do what he says it works!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363657852878.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363657852878.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 53
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363657867861.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363657867861.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 57
Just wanted to thank You2low for the buffing tips, tried my luck today and really happy with the results! The part by the speedo you can't really see when the flyscreen is on so I'm not worrying about it but it's obvious if you do what he says it works!

Thats Great Scott..It looks Good:clapping: The more parts you do and the more you play with it the faster you will get cause that just comes with getting the feel for it..Do you have a buffing machine or a bench grinder with wheels?

Thats Great Scott..It looks Good:clapping: The more parts you do and the more you play with it the faster you will get cause that just comes with getting the feel for it..Do you have a buffing machine or a bench grinder with wheels?

I have the same buffer as you from Harbor Freight, tried it last winter and I kinda stunk at it but just from the tips I picked up in this thread I'm polishing like chrome now... After looking how good the handlebar clamp came out I'm just going to pull it all apart and do it all, it goes fast and its snowing again here so I have the time...Got my Kerker can about halfway fixed now and after that's done it'll take care of every little bit if little imperfections that's been bugging me since I got the bike!

I got to cancell sisal wheel. :eusa_dance: saved 30 bucks! Just bought my compound from harbor crap.. need to go back today to get new wheels... I have ALOT of pieces to polish before anodizing.. I spent all day Saturday.. 10hrs and all day Monday.. 9 hrs sanding and polishing... im about half way done... I wore a brand new 6" wheel to 4" lol. I can't wait till its all over

I got to cancell sisal wheel. :eusa_dance: saved 30 bucks! Just bought my compound from harbor crap.. need to go back today to get new wheels... I have ALOT of pieces to polish before anodizing.. I spent all day Saturday.. 10hrs and all day Monday.. 9 hrs sanding and polishing... im about half way done... I wore a brand new 6" wheel to 4" lol. I can't wait till its all over

I don't know Matt. I'm thinking I won't be allowed to ride with you. Well on second thought, Maybe I can be the "before", in the before and after comparison.:eusa_dance: Seriously though, Your bike is looking great. We'll have to be sure and hit some bike nights. I Love to hear the ooo's and ahhh's.

Lol oh come on seriously tho me waiting to get my bike done has created a little mess for but in the end I dont care.. I should put all the money towards credit cards and down payment for house. Lol now im waiting for my stupid score to get back up so I could get a dam house!!!!

This is everything I need to polish.... well recently added my radiator and scoop inserts also the little rectangle cylinder plates... but I have to get all this done before I leave for texas for two weeks on the 31st so I can get it to the anodizing shop.. and by the time I get home from work I dont have time so thinking im taking some days off next week

uploadfromtaptalk1363694509579.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363694522284.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363694532870.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363694544615.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363694557129.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363694567542.jpg
Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Beautiful work. I mount a hard polishing wheel on my hand grinder. It works well
and gets into the crevises. The bench polisher is best for finishing. There is a lot of
time involved in doing this.
Steve-o

I got a bunch done over weekend but here's a picture of the two carriers in picture 1 uploadfromtaptalk1363696587384.jpg

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Guys, I need to bring this thread back. I was inspired after reading this thread and bought the recomended HF 8" polisher. I also bought a couple of their 8 inch wheel kits with the spiral and loose cotten combos...but I can't even get started. I can't get the buffing wheels on the buffer centered. Turn it on and it shakes like crazy. Do I need to put 2 wheels on each side? The holes in these wheels are too big. I though the aluminum spacers were supposed to go on to help, but 2 of them won't go past the threads. And with the backwards threads on the other end of the shaft, how the Heck do you get these to tighten up?

You can get the rubber hole adapters from most local tool stores ( machine tool store ).

Number two, did you buy a rake? If not go buy one and you can "shape" your wheel to a concentric non vibrating spin.

There are some very basic things your doing wrong here, polishing isn't rocket science, but its an art. ALOT of people think they can polish and they make things shiny, but change shape and size of the final part not realizing it.

Getting a true mirror finish on something is not easy, its very time consuming and very dirty. We do this every day in the shop with gun parts. I ve done my fair share of my own bike parts and dislike it everytime. The up keep is stupid unless you clear coat it and if you clear it , it doesn't have the same shine.

So lets go with left hand thread, hold the opposite side while you tighten the nut down. These don't have to be 100 ft lbs of force. Just enough to keep it from spinning on you. But first before you do that, you need the correct hole adapters to get it to seat right. You can rake it to size, but you will waste alot of you wheel doing that and make a big mess. Second, what types of wheels are you using and compounds as well. You need to start sanding everything by hand till you get to around 1200-2000 grit level and then go to a black with either a sewn wheel or possible a sisal wheel. After the black wheel, clean the part and remove all wax build up or you will cross contaminate your wheels. Next go to a loose cotton wheel with white compound, repeat the cleaning and then go to a loose flannel wheel with blue coloring compound. The last stepping is the only step you will polish only, or in other words follow the direction of the wheel. The other two steps you will go against the wheel to start and then go with the wheel to end. Against the wheel is buffing, with the wheel is polishing. That is some VERY basic things for you to try. Aluminum will whip out fast, make sure you have no pits or damage or you will make them worse. Sand all that out before starting to polish.

FIRST AND FOREMOST WEAR A RESPIRATOR !!! One that covers your eyes and mouth, Not just the mouth ones. You will absorb more crap through your eyes then your nose or mouth. Unless you want to die from cancer and other related problems of ingesting this stuff, please make sure to wear that respirator.

Now that you have spent around $500 on equipment you can start your polishing. So honestly if you want to screw around with a couple of small parts, then try it yourself. If you just want to do a few parts on your bike, let someone else do it. You'll be time and money ahead, not to mention your health.

If you have more troubles let me know and I'll steer you right and get you going.

600_100_bill_barrel_xd_40_6-08.jpg

600_Barrel_with_Ben_6-08_xd_40.jpg

Todd

Thanks for the information, that's much more detail than I had. Why, if there are only a couple different size arbors on these machines, wouldn't they make the pads in the right diameters? Seems like common sense. Course I've only looked at HF stuff, not wanting to make a big investment here. Never knew I needed hole adapters.

I bought a rake, but don't want to use it until I can get the wheels mostly centered and on there at least semi tight. I figured you would tighten each side just like you described...but both sides tighten/loosen in the same direction. Holding one side while tightening the other isn't possible.

I have some spiral wheels and loose cotton ones, with compounds 2 thru 5. I know to sand before hand. I'm not looking to go into business, just shine up a few parts, but your points are well taken. I set up the equipment outside, understanding the safety concerns, but never thought about needing a respirator.

You definitely need a respirator. That is the most overlooked thing. A shiny part is awesome, but not the 10 years you chopped off your like doing it.

Wheels are made in all types of size and shape.
Check out http://www.caswellplating.com/buffing-polishing.html

Lots of information there for the beginner. But I repeat, a respirator is a must and it HAS to be one that covers your eyes. There is no if and of but, you need it and you have to have the correct one or you might as well not wear one.

Good luck!

Todd

You definitely need a respirator. That is the most overlooked thing. A shiny part is awesome, but not the 10 years you chopped off your like doing it.

Wheels are made in all types of size and shape.
Check out http://www.caswellplating.com/buffing-polishing.html

Lots of information there for the beginner. But I repeat, a respirator is a must and it HAS to be one that covers your eyes. There is no if and of but, you need it and you have to have the correct one or you might as well not wear one.

Good luck!

Todd

I'm fucked..... lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OK- On the HF polishing motor you have two spacers. These go in the shaft FIRST, then the inside backing plate for the wheels. The wheels have too big holes but dome with a couple of cheap stamped adapters. You have to use those adapters and the small one will nest inside the big one. Look at the triangle indents on the bigger one to see how they go together. Remember the rased side of the adapters go INSIDE the wheels.

I'm not a very good polisher, so I also have some Lacquer thiner on hand and a clean rag (cloth dipers are the very best!) What will happen is when you get too much compound on the wheel you will transfer it to the metal and you will get some streaks of build up wax/compound. I use a bit of thinner on the rag to clean those off.

After you prep your wheel, hold the stick of compound against the wheel. It needs the heat of the spinning pad to melt the wax that holds the abrasive.

On alum, I suggest starting with Black, moving to brown then finishing with white compound on the loose wheel.

Mark your wheels so you know what is on each one, do not use multiple compounds on the same wheel

On just about everything on the MAX, you will already have a clear coat- save you time and use stripper to get it off.

You will have to start with Wet dry sandpaper (using it wet). I go 320, 400, 600, 1000.

You should look into getting some Sisal wheels for your first corse cutting. Then the Spiral Sewn with brown compound, and when it is polised to perfection go to the White on a loose buff.Each grit, I change the direction I'm going to I can see when I have the previous scratches out.

A couple of tricks... You can skip the sanding bu buying some Eastwood Greaseless Compounds. (Remember to give each its own wheel) These are way more corse then polishing compounds and will cut alum much faster the hand sanding. When I'm working on something that is cast (like a intake) I use these. But you have to be careful because you can cut into ridges with them real quick

Something elas I would pick up is Meguiar's G15104 Heavy Cut Metal Polish. When you get tired of spending all the time and still seeing a ton of scratches, you can put this on the piece and use a sewn buff to polish it off. You will get a great shine despite not having all the scratches out.

One other thing... If you decide to do your scopes, you will get the polishing all done and still have what look like stains in the alum. I talked to several people and they all hade the same result. If someone knows how to get rid of those, let me know- I think it is something in the casting. Scopes are not easy. The have vertical lines in them- no doubt to give the clear coat something to hold on to- It will take a long time to polish these out. I spent 2 days getting rid of those lines, and frankly it wasn't until I went back and tried the Greaseless Compounds. (which is really starting over)

I also have got in the habit of wiping the piece down with thinner between each compound.

I should note that I have seen guys with the BIG polishing wheels do about 2 hours of "pre-polishing" in about 10 min.

Hope this helps

Craig

One other thing... If you decide to do your scopes, you will get the polishing all done and still have what look like stains in the alum. I talked to several people and they all hade the same result. If someone knows how to get rid of those, let me know- I think it is something in the casting. Scopes are not easy. The have vertical lines in them- no doubt to give the clear coat something to hold on to- It will take a long time to polish these out. I spent 2 days getting rid of those lines, and frankly it wasn't until I went back and tried the Greaseless Compounds. (which is really starting over)

THe stain you are seeing is two things. One too much heat build up in the part. If your not careful you will warp the part possibly changing its form. The heat build up if caught before you actually change the metal structure can be saved. But if you have to use gloves to hold your parts, your getting them WAY to hot. You should wear rubber gloves to keep the crap off your hands, but shouldn't be using anything else. If you get the part too hot and stain it , you will have to sand it down past that mark.

Now streaks of different colors in a part can be materials in the part itself. Porosity holding trapped contaminents etc. Anyways..... getting out some of that stain and getting rid of the white haze you get left over from doing the final part in white only, you need to use blue compounds. Blue is coloring only. It will not buff and really only does a light polishing, but really is removing haze and evening out the color of the shine.

When you dress a wheel you want your part, or something after your compound as you dress it. What your doing here is forcing the compound into the wheel. You will have build up on the part, but it will be hot melted wax and if you go right into buffing with it, you will be fine. You will always have compound being deposited on your parts that you have to wipe off.

Craig I wouldn't use thinner to clean off the parts as you buff. Not sure if that is what your doing, but you will wear out your wheels faster and possibly contaminate your wheels with the thinner.

Use a quench tank to keep your parts cool between buffing cycles or if they start to get to hot, quench them and let them air cool and go on to another part while it cools. Never get them hot enough that you can't hold on to them. That is not good. You will waste compound on your wheels because the hot part will just wipe it off.

There is alot to more to polishing then people realize. Its not just buying a grinder, putting a buffing wheel on it with compound and going to town. Backyard polishing is often that way and while people may be happy with their results, but there is alot more science involved with surface speed, wheel size, directional deflections of the loose and sewn wheels etc. If you just want a shine, strip the clear coat, hit it with white and blue and you can be done in 20 mins. If you want it to look good, it can and probably will take you hours to make it nice.

The riser clamp was a quick polishing job. It shows some lines and deflection in it. The headlight surround and actual riser where sanded and buffed a little better and dont show the lines of deflection. These AREN'T great polished parts, but probably a step above what you will see most backyard or small shops acomplish. There is ALOT of work left to make them how I would normally like them to be. But I didn't want to spend time with them since I was going to powder coat them down the road. I just wanted to clean them up.

Anyways, I think you get the idea of it pretty much.

Any questions let us know.

Todd

Latest posts

Back