***For those running COP's...***

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdoprey

Reaction score
Drop your plug gap to .022". That is the gap reccomended for the Denso's and the Mitsubishi's

wonder if that could cause issues. i'm running stock gap.

I always tought that spark plug gap is defined for specific engine :ummm::confused2:

Do you noticed any changes with that mod?

Not nessisarily. Compression has some to do with it. Mainly the coil itself. Larger gaps have more resistance. Stk compression V-max's would be fine, but if one ups the compression it can cause problems. Most of these bikes that use the COP's have 11.5-12.5:1 compression stk. Again, it would prolly be no problem on stk comp, but won't hurt closing the gap.
Will it cause problems? On higher comp, prolly. On stk comp, dunno. The coil is working harder already since we are running them w/ wasted spark. Add extra resistance with a larger gap...???
Personally, i would run .022-.025".

I was always under the tuning impression you wanted to run as wide a gap as possible for the enging combination with out misfire.

Jim N

I was always under the tuning impression you wanted to run as wide a gap as possible for the enging combination with out misfire.

Jim N
Thats fine to do. Though a smaller gap has hotter spark. Larger gaps have a larger spark. Personally, i like the hotter spark with less chance of missfire.
You would be suprised how many times an engine will missfire w/o the rider knowing. Not a dead miss, but one or two in several hundred. Many, many vehicles do this all the time.

Ya'll can do whatcha want though. Just posting what i would do.

Today i've tried 0,7mm gap - 0,27".

1300cc engine with stock commpresion.

I didnt noticed any changes.
Maybe ill try to make some changes with engine at winter :D

Drop your plug gap to .022". That is the gap reccomended for the Denso's and the Mitsubishi's

Installed new plugs yesterday and could not remember recommended plug gap setting for bikes with COP's, so I thought I would give this thread a bump. Some of you might already know this, some may not....

Back