Power Q!!!!!!!!!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurtmax

Reaction score
Hi iam new to forum i just bought a 99 vmax,

ok my q is the bike came with cobra slash cuts and i just raced my friends i think its 05 or 06 suzuki gsxr 600 and he has a yoshi pipe on it and he walked all over me even from a 20mph roll when i was in first gear i dont even think i jumped him so i dont know, the bike runs fine .does he just have a faster bike or are those slash cuts slowing me down

and my other q is will a stock v-max with stock exhaust beat another v-max with the slash cuts''

i always thought the vmaxs could beat the 600cc crotch rockets but i dont know any info would be cool thanls

Hi iam new to forum i just bought a 99 vmax,

ok my q is the bike came with cobra slash cuts and i just raced my friends i think its 05 or 06 suzuki gsxr 600 and he has a yoshi pipe on it and he walked all over me even from a 20mph roll when i was in first gear i dont even think i jumped him so i dont know, the bike runs fine .does he just have a faster bike or are those slash cuts slowing me down

and my other q is will a stock v-max with stock exhaust beat another v-max with the slash cuts''

i always thought the vmaxs could beat the 600cc crotch rockets but i dont know any info would be cool thanls

Trade bikes and race, then we can answer lots of questions. Personally if any 600 ever pulled my Max in the 1/4, I would stop, get off the bike, and shoot holes in the cases!

I'm not normal though...so take these words with a grain of salt!

:cheers:

Neil

PS. Cobra's are the faaaaaaaart cans of Vmaxdom.

well one race was from a 40mph role the other was from around 20mph we didnt really have the greasted spot to line up

well one race was from a 40mph role the other was from around 20mph we didnt really have the greasted spot to line up

Get one of these and you will have no worries:

Attachments

• NOS_072007.jpg
    NOS_072007.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 33

My quess would be that he went to a lower gear than you did.Cobras lose a little power.Could be way out of sync or tune.

I've beat several of them at the strip. 750's too.

the cobra's are the worst for power and will lose to an equally setup vmax with stock exhaust (or any other for that matter). But, not all are the same. After all we made over 130hp with stock exhaust but larger displacement.

Keep in mind that the new 600's can run low 10's out of the box with a good rider. Some of your loss could be to rider ability. If he and you are up to it you can narrow that much out of the equasion but switching bikes.

But, first order of business is to get a different pair of slip-ons if you want the bike to perform to it's potential. Or better yet if your funds can afford it get a full header..

Sean Morley

The Cobra slash cuts will make less HP than the factory pipes, but will weigh less (I would think). The GSXR-600 should be as fast as a V-Max if not faster. The 05-06 Gixxer 600 should put out 103-110WHP stock and only weigh 430lbs. Your Max may only put 110-115WHP with the Cobra's and weighs 630ish probably. The X-factors will be gearing and riding ability.

well if i put like supertrapps on or jardines with a stage 7 jet kit will i be above stock hp or bring me back to stock hp but save the weight from the stock pipes

well if i put like supertrapps on or jardines with a stage 7 jet kit will i be above stock hp or bring me back to stock hp but save the weight from the stock pipes

Stage 7 requires full headers.The stock headers are very small.Look at the diameter of the rear headers.The front ones are double walled so the chrome will not blue.

well then if i put the trapps or the jardines well i atleast come back from being lower then stock hp is it just best to put stockers back on

well then if i put the trapps or the jardines well i atleast come back from being lower then stock hp is it just best to put stockers back on

You could ebay the cobras,And put it towards a full system.Super trapps could cost up to $500. For $750 you could get a full system.Mark sells 4-1 staunless systems for $730 with any lenth can and any size baffle you could want. A little more for 4-2 and the also have ceramic coated if wanted.

I think buying slippons first is not good if getting really good sound out is the goal.I went there did that and only wished that I would have put the slippon money towards a full system.Slippons can sound good but not compared to a full system.After hearing my first one ,I had to have one.

You should hear Paul C's old hindle 4-1-2 ,it is still my favorite sounding system ever.Too bad they are no longer made.

well then i will probley sell the cobras and get the stock mufflers back on there till i can afford a full system, any body got some stockers they want to get rid of???

well then i will probley sell the cobras and get the stock mufflers back on there till i can afford a full system, any body got some stockers they want to get rid of???
Before you put the stock mufflers back on. Drill the center of the baffle out with a 1 inch drill bit mounted on an extension. Work up to the 1 inch drill using a smaller drill as a pilot hole. If you look with a flash light down into the baffle you will see that it is blocked so the exhaust flows around it and out of the little perferations in the baffle. Drilling through this blockage will allow some exhaust to flow straight through. Derestricting exhaust flow this way will allow the motor to rpm higher, you do not have to rejet for this modification, so don't. It just let's the engine exhale better and allows it get more intake charge. The sound will be a nice deep muscular tone also. You will notice a seat of the pants difference in performance, not tons of horsepower! Your Max will run cooler and be torquier. That's it!! I can send pics of the finished product if necessary.

I've got a 4-1 Hindle with a Kerker Carbon Fiber Muff. Not sure how it does compared to the rest, but I love the way it sounds.

did a lot of quarter mile racing for fun in the 80s when vmax and uzuki 1150 where the big bikes...and still do a lot of street racing and rollons...up the track 1/4 mile the stock factory bikes where hard to beat with stock exhaust over same bike with a pipe change and carb rejet...on the street every exhaust i seem punched out lost big time on rollons over before they where punched out

Back