New engine paint job

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnelly317

Reaction score
Heres what I did all weekend first here are the before pictures
2012-02-28_17-35-44_334.jpg

2012-02-28_17-36-27_631.jpg

I used Eastwoods engine paint it was $44 dollars on ebay with shipping. I went with this over Rustoleum of VHT because of the hopes that it lives up the the name of chip resistant I have in the one picture an airbrush I was hoping to get less overspray but it didnt work out well. I sprayed way way way to thin so I gave that up right away. Grabbed the old craftsman paint gun and went to town. Yes there is some overspray but oh well:bang head: this is the preping job I did. I used scotch brite to rough up the surface then grabbed some degreaser and soaked the engine down and hosed it off with hott water. Then gabbed a air gun and sprayed down the engine ALOT got ever little puddle of water off of it and let it dry over night. This morning I took my time and taped off as much as i could to prevent alot over overspray. Then right before I painted the engine I wiped it down with a lint free cloth and MEK

2012-03-04_15-20-29_564.jpg

2012-03-04_15-23-35_742.jpg

2012-03-04_15-24-33_97.jpg

Soo heres what she looks like :eusa_dance: I like it alot! What do you guys think? Im getting chrome bolts for the engine covers once those are in place it will look awesome and also when I get all my aluminum back from being polished:clapping:
2012-03-04_18-31-44_756.jpg

2012-03-04_18-32-05_533.jpg

Very nice! Thanks for the info, as soon as we get some decent weather in the great white north I'll give it a whirl.

Not to be a nag but it seems you had the bike pretty much disassembled, i would take the opportunity to take the motor out to do a perfect job and better masking. Like i said that is a suggestion that came late but even though it looks you got a pretty decent service... Congrats.

Yea I thought about it but I just bought the bike. Haven't even road it yet. Didn't know how hard it would be to do plus with everything else off I didn't wanna have a bike I just bought in pieces lol

Nice paint job . You should look into stainless steel replacement over the chrome bolts / screws . They will look better longer with little or no care.

Looks great, I now it's a pia in the frame. I've been touching up for years. Maybe this winter I'll take it out. I'm just afraid the engine will get torn apart and redone if I see it on a stand.
I know who I'm not telling if I take it out, I'll end up with a 1500
rofl_200.gif
or more. And I took it out just to paint, why did I tell him?

That looks fantastic. I'll have to look into doing my engine. I can't believe it looks that good and you left it in the frame. That gives me hope of success since I don't have the ability to completely remove my engine right now.

Yup alot of taping and covering.. wasn't bad just prepping was a bitch! Lol buy a little paint gun from harbor crap and go to town

... Soo heres what she looks like :eusa_dance: I like it alot! What do you guys think? Im getting chrome bolts for the engine covers once those are in place it will look awesome and also when I get all my aluminum back from being polished:clapping:
bravo_Animation1_293.gif

I'm too much like the Weasel. I'd probably pull the sucker as much as I would hate the extra work, I just know it would bug me to no end thinking of the areas I missed. I got three motors to spray and one is getting Rustoleum industrial, i guess I can try the eastwood and reserve the last one for whichever of the two came out best. Oh, and powder coated covers to hang on the cases.
Now if I can get my ass in gear! I think it has a bad first in it! LOL

Last edited:
Back