How to oil a K&N, since the air filter has an inside -> out flow pattern?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFleshRocket

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some had previously installed a K&N in my '03 and ridiculously overoiled it. I pulled it, cleaned the airbox, and am going to re-oil the filter. Problem is, as far as I can tell, air flow goes from the inside of the filter to the outside. If I oil the outside of the filter, won't that contribute to some oil being sucked off the filter and into the engine? (Which is what happened with the filter in its previously-over-oiled condition.) Obviously the filter is too small to get the K&N oil spray can inside to apply oil there, so what to do?

The K&N web site shows you how to properly clean and reoil any of their filters. It's not rocket science fleshRocket... sorry... couldn't resist !

Well, common sense is to impregnate the surface w/oil which is first in the direction of airflow. What about using a wand to allow access to inside the filter? You might even heat the far tip of it and give it a squeeze w/pliers to give it a 'fan' shape.

The gauze should be a pale pink color, not red. If you're in-doubt, oil it as you understand from the directions, re-install it, and run the bike for a couple of minutes, increasing/decreasing the revs. Then pull the airbox lid and use a flashlight to look at the bellmouths of the carbs. If they are pink too, you need to re-clean the filter and use less oil. Hopefully, you won't have to clean the carbs too, but you may.

After you apply the oil you are supposed to wait a while before touching up the light spots. I presume this is so that the oil can wick and oil evenly. I don't sweat the small stuff.

Latest posts

Back