83 Venture motor in 85 Vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverado6x6

Reaction score
Just found out my 15 years under a tarp 85 Vmax with the broken oil filter boss also has a broken crank. But two years ago I picked up an 83 Venture that was in a house fire, most of body melted but other than the cdi being bad which I found the engine runs great, I am kinda new here and I can let that Venture go as I have an 89 Royale I ride anyway.

The Vmax motor block is the same but what would I need to transfer, heads? Is the flywheel the same? Keep the Venture differential?

Appreciate all comments.

Searched some threads, looks like the vmax heads and uppers, thats everything will slap right on.
And I will probably keep the venture differential and just tap a shock stud.
There is some difference in the weigth of the con rods from what I gather but the goal is not to get max performance, well most of it anyway would be nice, I am not a real go fast person, and not a twisty rider either, maybe owning 6 Goldwings has made me more sedate.

So a head gasket set, new rocker cover gaskets will be needed, bike has been put aside for now as I need to reconstruct a 93 Goldwing that was rear ended. Have a buyer waiting for it.

Just found I can get a vmax crank for $75, plus I do have another lower case, maybe I will just replace crank, have not considered that option before. There are a couple of cranks on ebay, so go with the used crank with its matching bearings or continue with swapping the block from the 83 Venture?

Tried again searching the forums of old threads on others doing any kind of Venture conversion, generally everyone wants to do the 1300 engine. Thats ironic as I am trying to sell my 89 Venture Royale right now on Craigslist. The other Venture the 83 I paid $350 for the whole bike but no papers so it went into a standby mode while I went into other projects.
But it does run very well, has a rebuilt clutch slave, low miles on engine, was stored in a warehouse for 17 years after being insurance totaled from being in that house fire.

Last edited:
Back