VMax to Venture

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

factfinder454

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to the Forum but not so new to life and bikes in general. I have a 1986 Yamaha Venture that totes a Motorvation Formula II sidecar that could use a little extra in the HP category. To that end, a VMax rear gear assembly was installed and does improve the takeoff and excessive shifting problems. I have a set of Vmax heads to install and am not sure what year bike they are from. Is there a way to determine the year or range of years the heads are from by their configuration? I also need a set of Vmax carbs to complete the top end and would like to know what years or range of years will sit on the heads without the Vboost. I would think (hope) that the Venture intake boots would fit the Vmax heads and allow the carbs to be installed in that fashion??

Thanks for any assistance that can be provided,

Les

You may want to find our facebook albums (see the signature) and look at the Venture Max we are building. We're down to mostly body work now and should be getting some progress on that part of it next weekend.

Any year Vmax 85-07 for the heads/cams. Your 1300 carbs are the same bore as the Vmax so no reason to swap them out. The vboost system will fit with some modifications and a custom ignition box to run it (we can help provide you that stuff too).

Thanks for the reply.

I am very impressed with the work that you do. It appears that there is a real passion for doing things in a very detailed and precise way.

If my understanding of the Vmax to Venture head swap is correct the Venture carbs do not provide proper fuel and air flow to allow the engine to idle very well and the low end performance is poor. If a set of stock Vmax carbs will provide better performance that might be a better option than trying to reconfigure my Venture carbs.

Just for the sake of curiosity, I was trying to determine the year of the Vmax heads that I have. They are an ebay find that was said to be from an 85. Is there any difference that would be of importance if they were from a newer bike?

Thanks.

I could sell you a vmax carb set but you'd be wasting money. Just set yours up with similar jetting. The bodies are the same (except #1 which has a boss on the vmax set for the hand choke lever). The early venture 1200's had smaller carbs so if you had that set i'd suggest the swap. I can sell you all the jets for about $45.

The head/cam change is going to change the characteristics of the bike. The vmax was made for mid range and top end power compared to the venture for low and mid range power. So, swapping the cams and heads are going to change the "feel". Still something I would highly recommend.

All years of vmax heads are the same. You may be able to narrow the year range down by seeing what color scheme the valve covers had.

Back