Stiff Crank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbul

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me how much torque it takes to roll a crank with the spark plugs removed by the end that is under the cap on the stator cover? Mine is very tough to turn.

I don't know the exact number, but mine didn't seem too hard with a normal (8" or whatever) ratchet.

Could anyone tell me how much torque it takes to roll a crank with the spark plugs removed by the end that is under the cap on the stator cover? Mine is very tough to turn.[/QUOTE

How does it run?
There is going to be some resistance even with plugs out. Rolling torque value? Someone might chime in that's working on theirs and can check.

Just did a top end job and pulled the pistons to clean them up. And put all 4 rod caps on backwards! Turns quite easily when assembled correctly. Feeling pretty dumb about now.....

Pretty psyched to get it buttoned back up this weekend and hopefully go for a ride, Its been apart for about 9 months

Just did a top end job and pulled the pistons to clean them up. And put all 4 rod caps on backwards! Turns quite easily when assembled correctly. Feeling pretty dumb about now.....

Pretty psyched to get it buttoned back up this weekend and hopefully go for a ride, Its been apart for about 9 months

Everybody makes mistakes. I've great respect for those that admit it. I'm glad you got it sorted out and it wasn't expensive . I don't leave caps off connecting rods long, because of this. Every mechanic has a horror story or two. Back in school I had a good engine build teacher that started a new 340 c.i. race engine with no oil in it.

IMO, 1 stiff crank beats 2 limp cranks any day of the week and twice on a Sat or Sun .....just sayin'...

Yea, I screwed up on an engine quite some time back and forgot to put the oil pump driven gear on (under the clutch basket). Engine ran excellent for a couple of miles. In my defense the guy I got the engine from had left it off and for whatever reason I just overlooked it when I put it back together. Thankfully this wasn't a specific engine for a customer and I was just out a good engine I could have sold.

Back