hd oiler fun

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethrobolas

Reaction score
John blaid was not kidding when he described the difficulty in the install of the new pump gear. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being most difficult, I rate it nearly impossible and bring a magician. This of course is with the engine still in the bike. Dropped the washer for the new gear by the snap ring into the fucking case by the transmission. Walked away for now, other shit to do.

Also found this in the oil pump pickup screen wedged under the tin baffle. Guessing it's a piece of the old shift segments. Must have been repaired by a po. Every thing is tight and in place where it should have been. Shifts fine. Hopefully I can get that washer from the pump gear out without removing and splitting the engine. I believe I have read that washer is not attracted to magnets, correct?

Attachments

• 20150118_112110.jpg
    20150118_112110.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 52
Well... about to throw in the towel. Dug around in there with some bailing wire. Moved it around a few times. I can hear it. Thinking this engine is coming out and getting torn down. All for a freaking washer. I knew better and I still screwed it up. Gonna sleep on it. shitty.

Did you try the magnet yet? I can't remember but thought I had changed the washer make to try and get one that was a steel that could be extracted with the magnet.

Wife found a small magnet last night that I will be able to fasten SECURELY to a wire. Hate to lose a magnet in there as well. Gonna give it another go after work.

I had the same problem but with the cir clip. Its magnetic. Took alot of fishing around but I got it out.

Dale

Ok. That's encouraging news. Didn't touch it yesterday. Wifey asked if I would watch the shorties while she ran some errands, and I was happy about doing it. Maybe tonight.

Exactly what I was referring to in the op. I know for a fact that prick is sitting there under the shift drum. I'm sure that is where johnblaid's is too. Really don't want to pull this motor out. Dirtbike engine I can have out and in pieces in under 3 hours. That's chain drive, 1-2 wires to disconnect, and 7 or 8 mount bolts to pull it. This 1200 is a bit more involved. At least there's no swing arm pivot bolt through the cases to seize and fight removal.
Carbs are already off and so is the exhaust, so if I do pull it part of the job is already done. IF the washer is magnetic, I bet I will get it out.

With John's bike, I used an engine hoist to lift the bike up in the air, then used water, WD-40, then used a 4 hp air drier, and never saw hide now hair of it. Since then, he rode it, with no issue.

Got it. IT IS NOT ATTRACTED TO MAGNETS....not even a little bit. I have a magnet that could pull a bb from your ass through the top of your head. No go.
Pulled the shifter shaft out of the cases. Took a peek in the hole and there it was. Of course it is to big to be pulled out of said hole. Made a hook on a length of bailing wire. Did the same on wire #2. One wire went into the bottom middle hole by the shift drum and back till I could see the hook end through the shift shaft hole. Then, the other wire went into the shifter hole on the right side of the engine and hooked the washer. Moved the washer toward the left side of the case until it met up with the first wire. Transferred the washer from the wire in the side to the wire from the bottom.
Started pulling it out and it got hung up on the shift drum. Dropped the washer...still in the cases!! First attempt to pull it along the bottom and it came right out.
Figured luck was on my side now, so I put the gear, washer and yes, the clip on. After stuffing a rag in any area the small bits may fall into.

NOTICE....THE WASHER DOES NOT FIT ON THE SHAFT WITHOUT CLEANING UP THE INSIDE BORE OF THE WASHER WITH A RAT TAIL FILE!!!!!!! I believe this was a contributing factor to my pain. Some mistakes on my part like not keeping the rag that I stuffed in there before I began this process and not verifying the fit of the washer on the shaft before the attempted initial install didn't help. 6 hours wasted because of a really little fuck up.

I remember being pretty confused why the "correct" washer did not go immediately. I sanded the inside with a dremel to get it to fit.

Glad to hear you found it! It is a bitch of a job to install that kit. I wouldn't do it again if given the choice!!

Latest posts

Back