Oil pick-up gallery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxMidnight

Reaction score
One of the UK V Max Chat members has been persuaded that he needs to address the Orange O ring issue.

During the course of his dismantling he has noticed what looks like a restrictor in the end of one of the pipes.

54c52192cc7fa3.80907800_r.jpg

It isn't anything I have ever read about so would appreciate any feedback, i.e. is it in all galleries, if not when was it fitted and the million dollar question, what is its purpose?

That KINDA looks like the restrictor that is used in a stage 7 kit.....but if I remember right.....it isnt supposed to go there......is it?

The two middle pipes on the oil manifold, one is restricted due to fact it only has to feed oil to crank journal #3. The other middle pipe feeds crank journal #2 & continues up to the cylinder head oil circuit. Un-like #1 & #4 that feed crank journals, crank pins, rods, water pump bearing, balancer shaft etc. hope this is some help!

Eric that restricter your talking about goes on breather tube near where it connects to motor for stg 7
Yep....that was the only thing that it looked like....and I wouldn't be surprised if someone somewhere did something like that. I've seen weirder things on bikes.

The two middle pipes on the oil manifold, one is restricted due to fact it only has to feed oil to crank journal #3. The other middle pipe feeds crank journal #2 & continues up to the cylinder head oil circuit. Un-like #1 & #4 that feed crank journals, crank pins, rods, water pump bearing, balancer shaft etc. hope this is some help!

Damon is right!

I had the same discussion many years ago with a French Vmax guru, one of the pipe of the gallery is restricted.
However it seems to be that later models don't have this restrictor anymore..?

Last edited:
Damon & Thor, thanks for the explanation.

A supplementary question if I may.

I've been looking at the diagrams of the lubrication circuits in the Service Manual appendix (yes, I know I should try to get out more) but am confused.

The diagram below implies that oil is fed from the pump to the distribution gallery, feeds the bearings, cams etc. with whats left going on to the oil filter (via the dread Orange O ring). Filtered oil is then fed back into the sump. This seems correct to me.

picture.php

However this one implies that the oil flows from the oil filter into the oil distribution gallery and then into the bearings etc.

picture.php

My query therefore is:
Does the oil flow FROM the pump, through the oil distribution gallery and then into the filter (first diag)

or

From the filter to the oil distribution gallery?

The discharge from the pump goes into the filter and then from there back through the distribution block and out to the engine. There is a very small amount of unfiltered oil that sprays the back of the stator area for cooling (line not in the picture).

Now, even filtered oil is not 100% filtered. Much of it bypasses at any given time.

Sean

Attachments

• IMG_20130328_151832_615.jpg
    IMG_20130328_151832_615.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 35
To the best of my knowledge: All oil is filtered other than what is discarded by means of the oil pump bypass valve (>63PSI on a stock pump). The other un-filtered oil is any oil that maybe bypassed via the internal bypass function of the filter it self (generally >58PSI). My understanding of the pipe Sean is referencing this pipe is a scavenge/siphon pipe to drain oil away from the stator side & dump it back into the pan via the secondary pump mounted along side the main oil pump. The stator receives filtered oil from the internal circuit within the crankshaft then sprays out the very small hole located in the main flywheel bolt for cooling of the stator & housing.

My query therefore is:
Does the oil flow FROM the pump, through the oil distribution gallery and then into the filter (first diag)

or

From the filter to the oil distribution gallery?

Both diags are rights, as you can see on the Sean picture, there is two pipes (a left one and a right one) ;)

Latest posts

Back