I think something is bad wrong :/

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalArts

Reaction score
So I had a hunch it was running lean, but drove it a mile to school anyway, well I tried...

Not even out of my neighborhood yet and I smell hot oil :bang head:

I hope this is something I can fix myself because I'm more than out of money here lol.

Here is a pic showing where I think it's coming from, it's leaking out pretty fast, only takes a minute or so to make a 3 inch diameter circle of liquid on the ground :/

Is it a head gasket?

xJHl5DL.jpg

Around $30 a gasket, a small tube of hi tac, a razor blade and/or a scotchbrite pad, qtips and a few drops of blood. At least its the back one, its fairly easy to take off.

It's only the cost of a gasket.....BUT.......If your gonna do one you'll prob want to do both. Getting them off & on is a bit tricky because there is barely not enough room. And I think I mentioned in an earlier post that you'd prob want to check the valve clearance. Now's your chance while you have the covers off.

Your motor has 50K miles on it? Adjustment s/b checked every 25K.

It doesn't cost much if any more money (you might have to buy a couple new shims if some are found to be out of adjustment and a special tool if you can't borrow one) but this procedure is a little technical. There is a step-by-step write up around here somewhere and we can answer any questions you may have. Just having any of your valve clearances corrected can improve engine tuning substantially!!

It's only the cost of a gasket.....BUT.......If your gonna do one you'll prob want to do both. Getting them off & on is a bit tricky because there is barely not enough room. And I think I mentioned in an earlier post that you'd prob want to check the valve clearance. Now's your chance while you have the covers off.

Your motor has 50K miles on it? Adjustment s/b checked every 25K.

It doesn't cost much if any more money (you might have to buy a couple new shims if some are found to be out of adjustment and a special tool if you can't borrow one) but this procedure is a little technical. There is a step-by-step write up around here somewhere and we can answer any questions you may have. Just having any of your valve clearances corrected can improve engine tuning substantially!!

I definitely want to do both as I can only imagine how crappy and old they are, plus I don't want one going out while I'm far from home.

With that said, I actually just asked Sean if I could pretty please borrow his valve clearance kit sometime. I found the write up and and I must say, excellent work and props to NaughtyG :clapping:

"What happens with VGas stays with VGas.":rofl_200:

Hahaha! I've actually been convinced between Sean and my dad that the Vgas system probably isn't in my best interest :confused2:

So I might trade them out if the right offer comes along. Don't you have Vgas? Can you tell me more about it? I still haven't gotten my bike safe enough to really get to know them.

If you just want to pull the whole motor to do it, I can help.

I am actually a little concerned that I have a bad head gasket, so that's definitely an interest of mine. If I only end up doing the valve cover gaskets (not sure where to get valve clearance shim and measuring kit) then I'll be fine in the trusty driveway!

If you have a better place to work I'd certainly appreciate it! I would like to really take a good look at everything in a garage so I don't run into suprise after suprise anymore. Haven't gone 15 miles of riding without a large problem yet :bang head:

Either way, thanks for the offer! :worthy:

If it's not blowing smoke, you've probably just got the valve cover gasket issue. I'm happy to help either way. I miss my bike right now anyway, so it would be nice to see one.

If it's not blowing smoke, you've probably just got the valve cover gasket issue. I'm happy to help either way. I miss my bike right now anyway, so it would be nice to see one.

Alright sweet! The reason my dad told me that I might have a bad one is because the oil was milky and the coolant is really dark/dirty.

Either way, I'd love to bring it down and let you take it for a ride but I won't be able to get it down there until the valve cover is on there xD

I very well could put the rear valve cover gasket on and bring it down to do the valve clearance and front gasket.

You're welcome to bring mine for a ride! I have insurance on the bike, just don't hurt yourself or second :punk:

Ooh, yeah. Milky oil and dirty coolant is no bueno. I'll help with whatever. No worries about sharing rides. Just fiddling is enough for now.

Ooh, yeah. Milky oil and dirty coolant is no bueno. I'll help with whatever. No worries about sharing rides. Just fiddling is enough for now.

Well you know more than I do xD he mentioned that could be a problem because he's a mechanic but he refuses to help with anything motorcycle related for the most part lol.

I'd love to bring her down sometime and tinker a bit, just let me know when and where! I probably won't have the valve cover gaskets for at least a week.

Well all my tools and bikes are in Texas, so I don't think we should meet there. Send me a PM sometime this week, and we'll start figuring stuff out

Keep me in mind I have tools and will travel just not in the cold my body stiffens . Alden can you fit bike thru basement door I have tarps to keep floor clean ..Any chance on having that all girl fraternity (sp) bikini contest at the same time ..

You may have few valve cover bolts lose to, When go to tighten the valve cover bolts don't over do it - you can break them off.

Keep me in mind I have tools and will travel just not in the cold my body stiffens . Alden can you fit bike thru basement door I have tarps to keep floor clean ..Any chance on having that all girl fraternity (sp) bikini contest at the same time ..

I wish I could, I mean on second thought I may be able to drive it down the inside stairway but the real trouble would be getting it out! Shame there isn't a regular walk out.

And hahaha! If the dates happen to line up for that I don't think we'd get anything done :punk: On the bike at least

Latest posts

Back