oil leak near left exhaust rear of engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aikidoka

Reaction score
oil runs down left exaust at rear of engine. I think I can see it misting a bit in that area when running but cant pinpoint the source. How hard a fix? Ok

The same happened to me last month. I had to replace the gaskets for the cylinder head cover.

Wipe it clean, spray the area with foot spray or talcum powder, start the bike and run it until it leaks, take a pic, and post it here.

There are a couple places this could be coming from.

not much to show. Oil builds up on the exhaust pipe at the engine and runs down until it puddles up neat the exhaust can and starts dripping. Only a light mist getting on other stuff in that area. I'll take a closer look while I have the carbs out

It could be the middle gear u-joint seal, or wicking up the wires from the stator cover. The stator wires would be really grimy, though. You might also have some coming out behind the shift shaft seal or the clutch slave cylinder.

cant post pictures from my phone. Will figure something out later. Drive shaft area is bone dry. Wires are clean as well. It appears to me one of the bolts on the top of the crank case is the culprit. The valve cover area is fine as well

Loosen the bolt just a bit. Spray brake cleaner in there (wash it out immediately, and don't get too aggressive with it or you'll end up losing some paint). Retorque the bolt. I had to do this to a couple after I had my motor out an apart. This is especially if it's a bolt on the top of the cases but behind the rear cylinders under the rear headers.

Aikidoka,
Two of the three bolts at the top-rear of the crankcase closest to the rear cylinder bank have copper seal type washers due to they penetrate oil circuit passages. You might be able to re-torque them to see if they will seal. Another place to look is next to these same bolts are a drill plug seal that might also be part of your oil leak.
Good Luck!

Torqued the one bolt a bit more and that seems to have fixed the leak. I'm going to order a new bolt and gasket. Anyone have the part # for each?

Aikidoka,
Two of the three bolts at the top-rear of the crankcase closest to the rear cylinder bank have copper seal type washers due to they penetrate oil circuit passages. You might be able to re-torque them to see if they will seal. Another place to look is next to these same bolts are a drill plug seal that might also be part of your oil leak.
Good Luck!

Aikidoka,
You will not be able to completely remove either of the two rear case bolts that have the copper washer seals unit the rear cylinder head has been removed.

Well, that's a kick in the teeth. I'll keep an eye on it and plan that adventure out should I need to do it in the future. Sigh

Aikidoka,
You will not be able to completely remove either of the two rear case bolts that have the copper washer seals unit the rear cylinder head has been removed.

Back