Flywheel bolt size 12m 1.25 ??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougi45

Reaction score
I am replacing my starter clutch ..its off but I did not use the cone on the puller and I messed up the first couple of threads on the crank nose and my bolt wouldn't start to thread.
I measures the flywheel bolt threads with a gage and i'm sure it is 12m 1.25 is this correct?
Also can I blow with air into the end of the crank nose to clear out any metal shavings from tapping the threads?

I tried to help by looking online but just like I'm sure you found out all I get is the part number. You may just want it take it ACE hardware and try to find the matching nut. I'd send Sean and email and he may be able to help, [email protected]

Do you have a thread pitch gauge? That would answer it real quick.

If not and no one answers just head to the hardware store with bolt in hand and find the matching nut.

You may want to try a thread chaser vs a tap. They remove less material.

I don't know if that is a blind hole or not. I would assume yes but, you know what they say. If blind, air would be good. If not blind, grease the tap and clean the hole with pipe cleaners or q-tips

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That is not a blind hole, it is the end of the oil supply to the rods and cooling oil for the stator.

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and tapped the threads and blew it out with air as I moved on before I got a chance to read any replies. How can I address any metal shavings that might have been blown back into the motor.. i`m gonna be sick..

Relax.. What's done is done.. You're probably gonna be fine. Magnetic drain plug and a good oil filter probably will do the job and prevent damage. I remember looking at the drain plug on my bike after the first oil change at 500 miles, and thought the motor was going to blow up with all the metal particles I found on the plug. If anything managed to get in the motor, it's pobably insignificant..

The filter will hopefully pick up some or all the metal filings, and there can't be that many from just chasing the threads. I'd change the filter and oil, and do it again in a few miles. +1 to the magnetic drain plug. Also adding some small magnets on the filter is also popular.
When thread chasing or drilling a good helping of grease will catch filings and allow you to wipe them out.

Thank again for the reply's I really appreciate it! I've done a lot of work to this bike and don't want to mess it up.
About the magnets what side do I put them on the oil filter?

Thank again for the reply's I really appreciate it! I've done a lot of work to this bike and don't want to mess it up.
About the magnets what side do I put them on the oil filter?

Have you tried a telescopic magnet?

The filter will hopefully pick up some or all the metal filings, and there can't be that many from just chasing the threads. I'd change the filter and oil, and do it again in a few miles. +1 to the magnetic drain plug. Also adding some small magnets on the filter is also popular.
When thread chasing or drilling a good helping of grease will catch filings and allow you to wipe them out.[/QUOTE
would it matter what side the magnets are on?

[/QUOTE
would it matter what side the magnets are on?[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't really matter. Many of the magnets you can buy for a spin on filter encircle the whole thing. I've seen folks put magnets on the metal end cap of a cartridge filter but not sure if that's possible on the vmax since I have a spin on.

[/QUOTE
would it matter what side the magnets are on?

No, it doesn't really matter. Many of the magnets you can buy for a spin on filter encircle the whole thing. I've seen folks put magnets on the metal end cap of a cartridge filter but not sure if that's possible on the vmax since I have a spin on.[/QUOTE]

I have seed large magnets attached to the end of the spin on filters and it was on a vmax also.

Latest posts

Back