Radiator angle or other options

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotastyle

Reaction score
Thanks to anyone taking a moment to read this inquiry.

I was recently looking at the lower frame tabs that hold the bottom of the radiator in place and slightly away from the front of the vmx1200 frame. I think an inch or more could be gained by shaving the tabs off and pulling the lower portion of the radiator into the frame. New frame through holes or some other way to secure the existing radiator tabs would hold the it securely at the new angle.

Why? My R1 forks (with no extensions for stiffness) are fully flush with the top of my triple tree. Under heavy braking i do experience some tire rub. Setting the radiator back slightly would allow for more clearance. An alternative is a shorter custom fabricated radiator.

What do you all think?

FYI, I shaved off the radiator tabs already that hold the side reflector covers in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to anyone taking a moment to read this inquiry.

I was recently looking at the lower frame tabs that hold the bottom of the radiator in place and slightly away from the front of the vmx1200 frame. I think an inch or more could be gained by shaving the tabs off and pulling the lower portion of the radiator into the frame. New frame through holes or some other way to secure the existing radiator tabs would hold the it securely at the new angle.

Why? My R1 forks (with no extensions for stiffness) are fully flush with the top of my triple tree. Under heavy braking i do experience some tire rub. Setting the radiator back slightly would allow for more clearance. An alternative is a shorter custom fabricated radiator.

What do you all think?

FYI, I shaved off the radiator tabs already that hold the side reflector covers in place.

Pics for reference:
http://vmaxforum.net/album.php?albumid=1363

Have you altered the spring rate and damping to allow for the greater weight of the Max over the R1?

I don't know if moving the radiator back will give you sufficient clearance so ether someone who has tried the mod (can't say I've ever read of this being done) or you will have to try it yourself to establish if it works.

Whilst a shallower radiator would work it would also need to be wider to maintain the cooling area plus hoses may not line up. Additionally would a wider radiator look a bit strange?
Answers to the usual address by first post Monday please..

There are some bikes with curved radiators which may offer some additional clearance but again, unless others have done this you are on your own.

I know that quite a few folk have fitted USD forks.
Provided the extension pieces are done correctly then I wouldn't have thought that it would have a significant effect on the overall stiffness.
The extension pieces would be between the upper and lower yoke and wouldn't be subject to any significant force (as always, I'mm happy to be proved wrong).
An alternative would be stepped yokes.

Have you altered the spring rate and damping to allow for the greater weight of the Max over the R1?

I don't know if moving the radiator back will give you sufficient clearance so ether someone who has tried the mod (can't say I've ever read of this being done) or you will have to try it yourself to establish if it works.

Whilst a shallower radiator would work it would also need to be wider to maintain the cooling area plus hoses may not line up. Additionally would a wider radiator look a bit strange?

Answers to the usual address by first post Monday please..

There are some bikes with curved radiators which may offer some additional clearance but again, unless others have done this you are on your own.

I know that quite a few folk have fitted USD forks.

Provided the extension pieces are done correctly then I wouldn't have thought that it would have a significant effect on the overall stiffness.

The extension pieces would be between the upper and lower yoke and wouldn't be subject to any significant force (as always, I'mm happy to be proved wrong).

An alternative would be stepped yokes.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll change up my settings again and see if that resolves the problem. Suggestions are welcome to account for the added weight, which I think dry is 170 lbs heavier (86 VMAX over 2009 R1). I'm also about 180 lbs.

Preload/Ride Height-(rings showing on the nut)
Rebound setting-(how many clicks in from full out setting)
Compression setting- (how many clicks in from full out setting)
Fork Oil (brand and weight)
Springs- (if changed)

Regarding the fork extensions, I have a nice set, but never could get the front end as stiff. Turning resulted in very minor flex, and there is zero flex with the extensions removed. Not sure if it really should have zero flex with the extensions installed, but sharing what I saw.

Latest posts

Back