Perfect Helmet for a VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great info!

Thanks guys.

I just ended up picking up a Bell RS-1 on close out.

I should get it in the next week or so and will report back in, once the weather allows a ride....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, if they ever decide to actually make it. They've been pushing the ship date back for what, like 3 years now?

As annoying as it is, you really need to try on helmets. Your head isn't the same as some random person on the internet, so what fits great for one person might be lousy for you. Different brands have different internal shapes that can drastically affect the fit and comfort. For me, HJC helmets just don't work, they're a rounder shape and I have more of an oval head, so they always feel tight at the forehead, yet fairly roomy around the ears.

More and more brands are starting to identify their shape, ranging from "slight oval" (rounder) to intermediate oval, to long oval, and sometimes different models have different shapes.

There is a comparison here
if a current helmet on the list fits well, note where it falls in the range. Far to the right would be a "slight" oval, center would be intermediate, and to the left would be long oval. WebBikeWorld also gives detailed reviews and sizing/shape advice on the more common helmet models.

Good to see you drop in Ryan! In my search the mfg's description leave a lot to be desired so trying them on is the only true way to find your fit. Over the years the manufacturers have "evolved" the model lines like the Shoei rf 1000 to the rf 1100 whereas the 1000 3x fit me and the 3x 1100 was tight and very hard to pull on over my ears. I could only find a 2x rf 1200 which I couldn't even begin to put on. When I put on the Bell Star Carbon it fit and felt tight and cushioned. No red mark on the forehead like many of those I tried on. The Arai Signet Pro Tour felt the best of all that I tried on but not sure of the exterior "pro shade" visor or $200 price over what I paid for the Bell Star Carbon.

Back