Need advice.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parktoss

Reaction score
Hello all, i have had an 85 for about a year, and when i bought it i was not aware that the second gear was starting to slip. I asked the seller, and was told that it did not.
Bike is in relativly good condition. I spent 2k on it, and was wondering what everyone thought (i may be in the wrong page for this, if so i apologize). I was thinking about selling it and getting a newer model, before i start to do a major upgrades such as exhaust, new rear shocks, rear brakes, carbs, etc.

What does eveyone think? Sell or just repair 2nd myself? I dont have a lot of time (school is a pain) and am by no means a mechanic, but have tinkered around with mechanical projects before. I also have some help from people if needed.

Thanks for your input

Hello all, i have had an 85 for about a year, and when i bought it i was not aware that the second gear was starting to slip. I asked the seller, and was told that it did not.
Bike is in relativly good condition. I spent 2k on it, and was wondering what everyone thought (i may be in the wrong page for this, if so i apologize). I was thinking about selling it and getting a newer model, before i start to do a major upgrades such as exhaust, new rear shocks, rear brakes, carbs, etc.

What does eveyone think? Sell or just repair 2nd myself? I dont have a lot of time (school is a pain) and am by no means a mechanic, but have tinkered around with mechanical projects before. I also have some help from people if needed.

Thanks for your input
Probably better to part it out than sell it outright.
It's going to cost a lot of time to do the 2nd gear.
Watch this---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0hGcHd1eGw

I would dig around locally and find someone that can do an undercut if you love the bike save it if not well part it I guess . By any chance do you know what that four digits on the vin # is ?

Repairing the trans on the V-Max is a big job and requires removal of the engine and splitting the motor cases, I would not recommend it for anyone without a strong mechanical background and working knowledge of your bike, there are however excellent how to steps/guides found here in the forum if you and your friends are determined to take on the task yourselves, expect to have $500+ in parts, gaskets, etc depending on the condition of the transmission components, not trying to discourage just stating what I've experienced......................Tom.

More in the $1000 range depending on what you do on the repairs. We do offer undercut (and even overdrive options). If you've only got $2k in the bike so far and if it's in nice overall condition I see no reason not to invest a little more in it.

The work really isn't that hard and to me the worst part is cleaning up all the old gasket material. The valve covers don't even have to come off for the repair though all the stuff around the perimeter does.

I guess it depends on how much of a hit you will have to take when you sell it verses the cost of repair both financial and your time.

If it is a really nice one then keep it.
As Sean says, it is not a particularly onerous job and if you want to learn more about the innards of a motor this is an ideal opportunity to learn.

However, from my experience, no matter how carefully you budget it will cost more than you think. However long you think the job will take it will be longer!

You need to offset the $500 - $1000 for the repair + your time against the loss you will take on re-selling it.

Try one of your local community colleges or a high school technical program in their automotive mechanics programs, maybe you can use their facility and a couple of students can do it, w/you 'assisting.' Are you in Idaho? Here's one I found: http://www.eitc.edu/academics_trade_01.cfm

The Automotive and Diesel programs are designed to meet the demand for trained technicians to repair, service, and overhaul a variety of automotive, construction, industrial, farm, and trucking industry vehicles. The program provides you with up-to-date technology training using the latest competency-based curriculum and hands-on experiences.

Back