Any V-Max riders gone to the Dark Side?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am running a car tire on the back of my 1800 Honda and my ST-1300 and ran one for 10,000 miles on my Nomad. No problems, long tire life, huge load carrying capacity, smoother ride, better traction in sand, fantastic traction on wet roads. Some disadvantages are a bit of wobbling on uneven road surfaces and having to apply a bit of input for making turns. I am considering buying a V-Max and will use a car tire on it, if I can find one that fits.

+1

I run a DS tire on my Triumph Rocket III including when the sidecar is on and also off. I'll put one on my max too when the current tire is used up. Below is a pic of the rear of my rocket.

Like the above poster stated, there are pros and cons. But discussing the DS is like talking about religion at the dinner table. It really seems to upset some folks.

Generally speaking though, you get better traction for accel and brake, better longevity, and the cool factor. Downsides is that the wider the tire the more it will grab and lean into uneven road surfaces. I run a 245 wide tire on my rocket now (225 in the pic below) and its wonderful for the sidecar, but can be a bit unruly when I'm riding on just two wheels. The 225 tire however was hardly a difference from the OEM MC tire.

1243049332.jpg

Why did you leave regular motorcycle tires to begin with? if it was because of traction,or scooting out of a corner?Sounds like you my have a road racing tire on there now.Way softer compound,hence sticks to the road.If so,And thats how you ride.You do realize when you go to a car tire ,You are going to a much harder compound.Not as sticky.There is absolutely no diffrence in how i did a curve back then and now.But that's me.If i did any road racing,I would have a set up like you.Not saying don't.Just be as smart as possible.I don't want anyone hurt.I can keep up with about anyone,Sportbike or whatever.We get a lil quick.Theres a lot of diffrence in a road racing tire ,and a street tire.Be it a car or a bike.Good luck either way.
The ONLY reason I have those tires on is because I wanted to see if this size will fit in my swingarm and slicks were the only tires I had laying around. That was when I went from stock wheels to 17s. At first I was taking it easy not knowing how they will handle on the street but the more I rode the more confident I became in those tires. To be clear, I'm getting new, street legal, motorcycle tires in the next week or so. As a matter of fact I just got a used 190/60/17 the other day, it's not really a good but I don't plan on riding on it at all, just to see if it fits. if it fits in my swingarm then that's the size I'll get and if it doesn't I'll go with the 190/55/17 that I know fits for sure. I just don't want to buy a new tire only to find out it's not going to fit.

There is one issue I have with the Dark Side which I've raised a number of times but is always ignored. Also on all those websites of people doing it there's never a single mention of it either.

The thread pattern in a bike tire is designed to channel water away on wet road, keeping good grip and preventing aquaplaning. The same is true with a car tire, that is as long as it runs flat.
So what I want to know is, how is the corner edge of a car tire going to cope with channeling water away while banked over on a bike on a wet road? Its edge's thread pattern is surely NOT designed to do so.

Of course, it may also mean that the Dark Side means riding ONLY in the dry...

Of course, it may also mean that the Dark Side means riding ONLY in the dry...

One of the reasons I went to a DS tire was for better traction in wet weather given the amount of rain we have here in the great NW.

I picked a good all-weather tire which provided much better grip on wet roads. It hasn't negatively affected my cornering, but I'm pretty cautious in the rain when on two wheels, regardless of my rear tread.

It's just one of these things that the adventurous need to try for themselves if interested, and those who are not need not. I know quite a few dark siders and most, but definitely not all, stick with it once making the transition.

Watching that Valkyrie transition from side-to-side was like watching an obese ballet dancer-and why would anyone want to do that?

... Also, seems like a lot of "Dark Siders" put about 8-10 psi of air less then what is recommended. Seems to be helping with the transition from stainght line to cornering. This makes me want to try it out for myself, wish I kept my stock rim :)

I have mine at 28psi for the Rocket. Others with my same set up range from 28 to 33 psi, with larger riders using the higher pressures ... all of which are lower than than what would be used when on a car. Too much PSI causes the bike to feel really loose, but drop just a tiny bit of pressure and the bike feels like its glued to the asphalt.

Another downside sometimes raised is that unsprung mass is increased with a heavier tire, but this seems to be a theoretical problem more than a practical one. But if you are doing things like switching to CF rims, dropping drive shafts in favor of chain/sprockets, etc., then obviously more mass is not the direction you'd want to go.

Anyway, this is quite common on Rockets, valks, and goldwings. I've only seen a handful of DS transitions on the vmax. Though I personally plan to join them.

EDIT: It's also very common on sidecar set ups which tend to eat through tires like crazy. A MC tire will last about half as long pulling a hack, but a DS will last about 2-3 times as long as a MC tire and give better grip and handling. Some sidecar setups even have a DS front tire. But even amongst sidecar folks, the DS is still controversial.

Some sidecar setups even have a DS front tire. But even amongst sidecar folks, the DS is still controversial.

I would have thought that any fixed frame outfit would run DS on all THREE tires as a matter of course? I don't see how it could even be controversial? I mean, if neither the bike nor the sidecar will ever lean, then it makes perfect sense running flat tires, right?

But as far a leaning a lot is concerned, and that's a bit more than Valkyries and the like, I'll stick to M/C tires thank you.

The ONLY reason I have those tires on is because I wanted to see if this size will fit in my swingarm and slicks were the only tires I had laying around. That was when I went from stock wheels to 17s. At first I was taking it easy not knowing how they will handle on the street but the more I rode the more confident I became in those tires. To be clear, I'm getting new, street legal, motorcycle tires in the next week or so. As a matter of fact I just got a used 190/60/17 the other day, it's not really a good but I don't plan on riding on it at all, just to see if it fits. if it fits in my swingarm then that's the size I'll get and if it doesn't I'll go with the 190/55/17 that I know fits for sure. I just don't want to buy a new tire only to find out it's not going to fit.
Didn't mean to offend you .Didn't know your situation.But anyway.Hope it works out.

I have never ridden on a car tire, but I've ridden with others who had them on. So far, I've never had any of them keep up with me in the twisties. That's not to say it's impossible, but it hasn't happened yet.
My biggest concern would be liability. In case of an accident, whether related to tires or not, a smart lawyer might be able to convince a judge or jury that having improper tires on a bike makes you liable.

jfeagans i have to say I like that bike. Da*n good job. I see em on trikes and drag but have not seen any other dsers

Latest posts

Back