Any V-Max riders gone to the Dark Side?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-B-Boost

Reaction score
Quite a few people will say it's doable, and they're doing it.

I say it's crazy. Very simply, a car tire's designed to run flat, a bike tire is designed to lean. 'nuff said.

Sorry, my initial try at a search didn't show me anything. Now I see there's already a thread on this.

My bad.

Quite a few people will say it's doable, and they're doing it.

I say it's crazy. Very simply, a car tire's designed to run flat, a bike tire is designed to lean. 'nuff said.

Have a look at the first link - the guy who wrote it covers that in detail.

Have a look at the first link - the guy who wrote it covers that in detail.

I've read all the for and against arguments, but I'm still no convinced.

It's simple business - if car tires were ok to use on bikes, why would manufacturers go to through all the trouble of researching, developing, testing, marketing etc etc??

And, why would bike manufacturers simply not sell their bikes with car tires on? I don't buy it. Just think for a moment of the thread design on the edge of a car tire. Made to get rid of water while leaning on that non-threaded corner? I don't think so.

BUT, to each their own, if some people are happy to run like that it's their choice. I know that anywhere like Europe or Australia you'd probably get arrested if a cop clocked it..:confused2:

There are places to save money, and tires is not one of those areas. Tires are the direct connection between the bike and the road.. why bother spend money on suspension, chassis, motor improvements if you're going to put crappy tires on?? In the name of saving a buck?

That said, in my experience, a good car tire is not cheaper than a good motorbike tire.

Tread life, yes is longer, because the rubber compound is much more stiff ie/ less friction coefficient. not unlike a really old motorcycle tire - they sure last, but when it rains, you hit a corner to hot, need to emergency brake etc... don't dream of riding.

I think the other consideration is this - if you ride slowly, in the dry, in a straight line and go VERY slowly around corners, never have emergency situations, maybe you can get by. In my experience, I really notice the transition between a older tire's flat center-to-sidewall transition when cornering. It becomes rather abrupt in transition when riding in a more spirited pace through twisty roads. After scrubbing in a new set of rubber, it feels like a new bike each time I get new tires - the bike steers itself, holds a line in a corner, and makes smooth transitions between corner to straight.

But as they say, your mileage may vary :) I hope we all can ride safely, aggressively (if desired) with minimal brushes with death.

Peace.

When this has been a topic of discussion here, people had 'strong opinions' on the subject.

There are many parallels one can make.

Just because someone can srick a flaming firebrand in their mouth w/o harm doesn't mean you should ty it.

When someone "catches a bullet fired at them, in their teeth," doesn't mean your results will be the same.

When Robert de Niro goes to collapsing So. Vietnam in-search of his boyhood friend, Chris. Walken, and plays Russian roulette, at the end of "The Deer Hunter," "don't try this at home."

Just because someone can pull a 25' house trailer w/a fifth-wheel lag-screwed to the open tailgate of his Chevy Blazer doesn't mean you should. (seen it!)

Ayway, the best argument against this is to go to your dealership w/that car tire in-hand, and ask them to mount it for you. Maybe you should listen to what they say.

Remember what Laurence Olivier asked Dustin Hoffmann while he was drilling his teeth in "Marathon Man." There's your answer!:clapping:

Attachments

• szell.jpg
    szell.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DentistDrilling.jpg
    DentistDrilling.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 45
Is it me or are all those guys fitting car tires on cruiser bikes only? Kinda figures - as soon as you get any angle everything scrapes like crazy..

Is it me or are all those guys fitting car tires on cruiser bikes only? Kinda figures - as soon as you get any angle everything scrapes like crazy..

No, I highly doubt you'll find car tires on sportbikes anytime soon.

That said, the bit about "car tires can't possibly work" is like trying to argue why a plane will not take off, as you're flying in it.

Well it obviously does, loads of people run car tires on bikes and have been doing so for a long time, with what they claim no ill effects and many benefits.

People tend to think of car tires as a rigid square, and that any degree of lean will tip it onto the sidewall, causing the bike to just slide out, cue fiery explosion and death. I've seen a Goldwing with an automotive rear tire drag it's floorboards around corners, and yet did not instantly slide off the road and explode. There was ZERO wear on the sidewall of the tire. In fact, some of the rubber "tits" were still on the edge, just past the start of the bend away from the tread, so it was obviously not tipping onto the "corner of the square" as people insist happens. He reports that it took about 5 minutes to "get used" to the car tire, noting the only real difference it that it takes a bit firmer counter-steer to tip it into a corner, which makes sense. He's noted better straight-line stability, and honestly, cruisers usually spend about 99% of their time in a straight line. At the time he had over 15k miles on the rear tire and it still looked practically new. Said he got at best 8-9000 out of a MC tire, and the car tire cost about 60% as much, for what he expects to be about 400% more life.

Like I said I doubt you'll be seeing car tires on MotoGP circuits anytime soon, but for the cruisers that have limited cornering clearance by design, they've proven to be just fine.

I done it.It works for me .I don't drag my knees through corners.And i came up old fort mtn a four lane in a hellaofa rain.I don't notice any problems.I ran 50 to 60 .I agree it's not a road racing tire.Nor am i a road racer.My going around curves is no diffrent than when i had the bike tire on it.It was a dunlop.That went around 5500 miles.For myself im just as happy.I now have around 5000 on the car tire with no problems.I had to inflate the tire to 110 psi to make it bead up!Yes this was very dangerous.I deflated down to normal pressure.Balanced.installed,.I also run a bike rear tire on the front.It's your choice.I personally am pleased.Could i have gotton hurt.With such high inflaiton pressures.YES.But for me it's Great.Like how it handels.No diffrence in curves.Mine is a 165/80/15.Fits the max great.I did have a wreck last fall.Was in no way tire related.It's just your choice.Like it was mine.For me ill do it again.Just want you to hear my story so youll kind of know what to expect.

Last edited:
No, I highly doubt you'll find car tires on sportbikes anytime soon.

That said, the bit about "car tires can't possibly work" is like trying to argue why a plane will not take off, as you're flying in it.

Well it obviously does, loads of people run car tires on bikes and have been doing so for a long time, with what they claim no ill effects and many benefits.

People tend to think of car tires as a rigid square, and that any degree of lean will tip it onto the sidewall, causing the bike to just slide out, cue fiery explosion and death. I've seen a Goldwing with an automotive rear tire drag it's floorboards around corners, and yet did not instantly slide off the road and explode. There was ZERO wear on the sidewall of the tire. In fact, some of the rubber "tits" were still on the edge, just past the start of the bend away from the tread, so it was obviously not tipping onto the "corner of the square" as people insist happens. He reports that it took about 5 minutes to "get used" to the car tire, noting the only real difference it that it takes a bit firmer counter-steer to tip it into a corner, which makes sense. He's noted better straight-line stability, and honestly, cruisers usually spend about 99% of their time in a straight line. At the time he had over 15k miles on the rear tire and it still looked practically new. Said he got at best 8-9000 out of a MC tire, and the car tire cost about 60% as much, for what he expects to be about 400% more life.

Like I said I doubt you'll be seeing car tires on MotoGP circuits anytime soon, but for the cruisers that have limited cornering clearance by design, they've proven to be just fine.
I have rode 2 Valkyries & 1 goldwing with car tires & would not hestate to run one on the touring bike. I ran them trru corners & Like you said just a little more countersteering but they handled great to each there own but the next wing I get will probably have one on it.

Ok, I have an example: you get in a wreck, maybe your fault, maybe not. When a sharp attorney spots your car tire on a motorcycle, "someone's gonna pay!" The pictures taken at the accident scene may reveal this, and the condition of tires is always of interest in motorcycle accident investigations, among other equipment and its condition.

For example, I was following a private ambulance to the hospital in the rescue vehicle, when the ambulance flipped on an expressway entrance ramp. The private ambulance held one of my co-workers from fire/rescue, and the patient, along with two private ambulance employees. The driver of the private ambulance went to the police impound yard where the ambulance was and took pictures of its bald tires. He threatened to sell the pictures to the family of the patient, and the ambulance company owner bought them instead. That day, the ambulance in the police compound, totaled, got four brand-new tires.

Sure, you "can" mount and run them. You "can" operate your motor vehicle which uses four lugnuts per wheel with two lugnuts snapped-off. It will roll down the highway, it may start, turn, and stop that way, but what happens when another snaps? "Hey, why is my wheel and tire passing me?" as it goes rolling-by. Any law enforcement officer who stops you can ticket you for improper equipment if he notices your car tire. Ask anyone who has owned a car or bike registered in Germany about TUV rules & regulations. They specifically prohibit such fitment.

In most of your Country's over there you have to have the inspection and if you change your motor you can not change it out anything that was not offered my the oem for the year and model. So changing out a big block for a small block is a no no there too.

Back