Any V-Max riders gone to the Dark Side?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the ideas are:

1 - car tires are way cheaper
2 - apparently they last 3x as long as a bike tire
Don't know where some get there info, but, to run a car on a , lets say a Goldwing, the tire cost is more, a Kumudo run-flat runs about $300, but, they will last 80,000 miles with better traction on both wet and dry. And with the sweet spot of tire inflation, will flex while leaning with twice the contact on road than M/T . Just saying, years ago, nobody would have believed radials on motorcycles! The only ones who are against the C/T verses M/T have never tried it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Its been in the back of my mind for a long time. Probably not on the max but I may give it a shot on the Venture depending on how much life I get out of the brand new E3s I just slapped on it.

Just out of curiosity, what car wears a tire that we can slap on our bikes? This must go back quite a few years.

Radials on bikes are now a thirty year old reality on production bikes. My 1987 FZR 1000 came with them. I've owned it since 1988 when I bought it from a friend.

Running car tires to save a few $ isn't worth the decreased handling, not even on a sidecar. Not to me anyway. Saying that if you underinflate the car tire to get to a "sweet spot" ignores the engineering that the car tire manufacturer put into the design. Excessive flex and resultant heat due to underinflation is the cause of ply separation which could lead to catastrophic carcass failure, which is much more serious on a bike than in a car. Nancy Reagan was right, "just say no."

Don't know where some get there info, but, to run a car on a , lets say a Goldwing, the tire cost is more, a Kumudo run-flat runs about $300, but, they will last 80,000 miles with better traction on both wet and dry. And with the sweet spot of tire inflation, will flex while leaning with twice the contact on road than M/T . Just saying, years ago, nobody would have believed radials on motorcycles! The only ones who are against the C/T verses M/T have never tried it. Just my 2 cents worth.

VW beetles (the 1200 cc ones) ran a 5.60 x 15" tire but they couldn't break 72 mph unless going downhill. Right size but you need at least an H rating (130 mph), or a V rating (to 149 mph). Also I don't believe the tire, even w/it's modest aspect ratio would fit inside a stock swingarm.

Its been in the back of my mind for a long time. Probably not on the max but I may give it a shot on the Venture depending on how much life I get out of the brand new E3s I just slapped on it.

Just out of curiosity, what car wears a tire that we can slap on our bikes? This must go back quite a few years.

I just happen to have a Max sitting out here with a 165 15 on it all kinds of room in the swingarm more than the 170 Shinko. I have no idea how it does on the Max since this is on a chassis I bought. I am going to try it on mine just for grins though. I know the wings and valks and the stratoliner I rode all rode nice but I was not living in the twisties then.

Attachments

• 20161107_165857.jpg
    20161107_165857.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20161107_165916.jpg
    20161107_165916.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20161107_170000.jpg
    20161107_170000.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20161107_170018.jpg
    20161107_170018.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 29
One thing to consider, if you have PI/liability insurance, you might not be covered if the adjuster discovers you are using a car tire instead of a bike tire.

If I was running stock wheels I'd try it for sure. Get radials on for a fraction of the cost of upgraded wheels. There's enough evidence out there from credible people now.

Back