Looking at doing Isle of Mann 2016, any tips?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
Thinking of heading over to England and ferrying over to the isle this coming May. Wanted to ask if anyone has ever attended, or has tips on travel and accommodations.

Do as much research as possible, and if you're thinking of bringing your own bike, I've read the ferries going from/to the UK are often sold out by this time for the best days, though I've never made the trip myself. Supposed to be plenty of camping places, many families open their land to camping, but it's rustic.

Be prepared for cold, wet weather, even if you're a non-mcy riding tourist. The avg June temp is <60*F. Average chance of precipitation >60%.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/28738/6/Isle-of-Man-United-Kingdom

http://www.iomtt.com/ http://www.iomttbreaks.com/

My brother in law has been there a couple times. He has relations that live there. He's not a biker, but they just go and watch..because that's what everyone else on the Isle does. Came back with some incredible video footage. He said VERY expensive over there. When you have breakfast in the restaurant its about $26 bucks for 1 egg, 2 pieces of toast and tea.But impossible to get during racing days. The sugar & cream cost extra as well. And wash rooms are not wheel chair accessable. narrow hallways and generally upstairs or down stairs on narrow steps. The ferry price for 1 car & 4 people both ways was $270.00. during the races, but cheaper during qualifying days. Fuel is around $125 a litre. The problem with the camp sights is, they are generally booked a couple years in advance. He said most plan Well ahead of time before they go.

I hope you're missing a decimal point!

http://www.whatgas.com/petrol-prices/isle-of-man.html#.Vn4WBny9KSO

I believe these prices are in UK pence.

Another site:

http://www.numbeo.com/gas-prices/city_result.jsp?country=Isle+Of+Man&city=Douglas

That in-green price must be the post-apocalyptic, Mad-Max era pricing!

My brother in law has been there a couple times. He has relations that live there. He's not a biker, but they just go and watch..because that's what everyone else on the Isle does. Came back with some incredible video footage. He said VERY expensive over there. When you have breakfast in the restaurant its about $26 bucks for 1 egg, 2 pieces of toast and tea.But impossible to get during racing days. The sugar & cream cost extra as well. And wash rooms are not wheel chair accessable. narrow hallways and generally upstairs or down stairs on narrow steps. The ferry price for 1 car & 4 people both ways was $270.00. during the races, but cheaper during qualifying days. Fuel is around $125 a litre. The problem with the camp sights is, they are generally booked a couple years in advance. He said most plan Well ahead of time before they go.

Last edited:
Deposit sailings have to be paid end of feb none payed are
released start of march.

dont leave your bike on ferry till tied down

use your mirrors a lot remember you have all skill levels
going round at the same time. Some very fast guys

Have fun stay safe .

As suggested above do your research and then decide what you want to see and when you want to go.
If you are taking a bike or car then it has to be by ferry from Liverpool or Heysham (near Lancaster). Alternative would be to fly from one of these airports and perhaps hire a car over there.

As for accommodation then I have always found Trip Advisor to be a useful source to research what is available. I've not had a bum steer yet.

Ferries in May should be OK as there aren't many bike related events, see this.

Fuel on the mainland is currently £).99/ litre ($5.56/ US gallon) but may be three or four pence/ litre more expensive on the island.

Like many places where there is high demand prices do tend to go up. I don't have any experience of the IoM during TT week so can't comment on what has been said previously.
As for charging for cream and sugar, I have NEVER been charged for such items anywhere in the world which includes the IoM. Have to say that I take the previous respondents claim with a pinch of salt (also free).

Take a cheap flight to Dublin and rent a bike when the weather looks good in right all of Ireland it won't cost as much trust me you will enjoy yourself

The wife and I have been thinking about making this trip. Probably not with the bike. We also wanted to visit England and Ireland maybe but the race would be the main reason for going. Thanks for the links and information.

A grateful thank-you to MaxMidnight:
A favour you did him, an honour to say, your labour 'tis seen to help here, ere we err, every day.

If you go to the race it would be cool but it will cost you alot. Imo it would be smart to fly to Dublin at the same time as the race and rent a bike and go to a cool Irish bar and watch the whole race on a big screen because on TV you will see the whole race and than you can enjoy riding all over ireland. When I was driving in ireland I kept saying i wish I was on a motorcycle. The routes are so cool.

Get it booked and get over there. Theres a good few campsites on the island and not finding somewhere to stay is not a fear. Proper bricks and mortar digs will cost a fortune though and its way too late to get them as they will be booked already. Physical building accomodation is tight in tt weeks. Been going to for twenty years (not to watch races, more for the riding and atmosphere). Riding flat out over the mountain is a hell of an experience. This year the max is going to the island for the first time, looking forward to that a lot, always been on Ducatis and 750 jap sports bikes til now.
Dont risk speeding in areas where the posted speed is there. Fines are heavy. Derestricted signs are just that, derestricted speed, but dont do anything stupid (150mph isnt stupid in the right places). Overtakes as long as safe are fine at any speed, but go wide, cross a double white line, thats stupid and will get you a dangerous driving ticket, a huge fine, a ban for the duration of the tt and potentially jail time.
Dont ride near the centre of the road if you are not riding fast, people who are riding fast will get irritated and pass you as soon as they realise you are easy pickings, some idiots will actually pass you on the inside if you are in the way for too long.

Apart from that, have fun. Ride fast, have fun, ride faster, have fun.

Latest posts

Back