Getting Bike Ready

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggohead

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering who all is ordering parts or getting their list together for this years Mods. I think having two bikes make it way harder.... I just remembered I needed new spark plug caps due watching the spark go to a cylinder in the evening about 3 months ago.. I have been slacking on getting parts this year..

This spring/ summer prep is:

90' Frame braces welded on , CNC'd Hwy pegs, Polish carb covers once I get buffer, figure out what is going on with right front carb. Also hoping to get shorter mirror ends made for the OEM stems....

95' New rear tire, work on air box lid, and get carbs tuned in better. Turn signal ( right front isn't working- no power at bulb..

I lack the room and a garage, so as soon as it warms up I will be in the shed for a while..

.... I just remembered I needed new spark plug caps due watching the spark go to a cylinder in the evening about 3 months ago.. I have been slacking on getting parts this year.......

You might take a few seconds to check your idle voltage, as this is one of the main symptoms of a CDI box asking for more voltage. I chased this erratic behavior for months on my 85 (way back when), first changing the plugs, then wires & caps, TWICE, before learning the real reason for the erratic spark jump.

I'm working on my exactrep tank, maybe doing the cbr tail light/relocating license plate. New exhaust configuration and hanger, maybe the headlight conversion I've been waiting for.

Some of this depends on whether or not I pick up a gs or super tenere.

Just wondering who all is ordering parts or getting their list together for this years Mods. I think having two bikes make it way harder.... I just remembered I needed new spark plug caps due watching the spark go to a cylinder in the evening about 3 months ago.. I have been slacking on getting parts this year..

This spring/ summer prep is:

90' Frame braces welded on , CNC'd Hwy pegs, Polish carb covers once I get buffer, figure out what is going on with right front carb. Also hoping to get shorter mirror ends made for the OEM stems....

95' New rear tire, work on air box lid, and get carbs tuned in better. Turn signal ( right front isn't working- no power at bulb..

I lack the room and a garage, so as soon as it warms up I will be in the shed for a while..

I'm anxious to see you get the both on the road and 100% dependable.

Gosh..still the same list as last year:

New paint and plastics (which I did finally acqure, just need to paint them)
CBR tailight (waiting to mount after paint -see above)
New fork springs (and badly needed seals)
Bar end mirrors (still have to get my dumb ass grips off 1st) :/
Definitely hoping to get carbs to danny this year.

Wish list:
Morley chromed scoops
lowered rear shocks
Full exhaust (kerker or marks)
Fancy clear covers. ;)

And prolly an oil change wldnt hurt.

Wait, am I getting off topic?..
That should do for now.
:)

Paint, new seat, fork rebuild with progressive/ head adjustment and tour tank. Aside from that I think there is room to further refine the jetting even though the haunting to-rich misfire is gone, I feel like I'm leaving some high RPM performance on the table. I hope it looks ok next to all the awesome machines I see here.

You might take a few seconds to check your idle voltage, as this is one of the main symptoms of a CDI box asking for more voltage. I chased this erratic behavior for months on my 85 (way back when), first changing the plugs, then wires & caps, TWICE, before learning the real reason for the erratic spark jump.
I don't remember exactly what it was last year. I think at idle it was around 14vdc... but then again my memory is gone... lol

Not much in the works for me.
Maybe install my micromachines v-boost controller. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the bike as it sits now.
Just need time to ride it!
Probably need to clean the carbs when I do ride it.

I've been working on a home addition for a year now. All "extra" time and money has been going that way. Still a lot to do.

Not much in the works for me.
Maybe install my micromachines v-boost controller. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the bike as it sits now.
Just need time to ride it!
Probably need to clean the carbs when I do ride it.

I've been working on a home addition for a year now. All "extra" time and money has been going that way. Still a lot to do.

I' have been working on our front porch for 2 years now :biglaugh: Sorry honey I shouldn't start another project till first is completed :rofl_200: She's catching on I must say so this spring I must finish what I started ..

This is my first winter with VMax ownership, so my list is loooonnnnggggg........

new Shinko's - parts in, rear wheel mounted, dynabeads going in both...
Modded Venture swingarm - I'll post pics and impressions - once I take a ride - mod work complete, now need to put things back together....
Superbike handlebars and D3 grips (thanks Mr. Morely!) - parts in
Black handles and mirrors - parts in
engine guards - parts in
SS front brake lines - parts in
COPS/spark plugs - parts in
crimp fix - good charging @ 13.8V now - but why not?

talk about Mod Mankey MADNESS!!!!

AAHHHHH!!!!!

Attach the fuse holder for the output of the MOSFET voltage regulator.
Replace the rear tire on the Roadstar.
Go for a ride...

I think one of the biggest things for me this spring will be seeing the difference in a Venom tire and the 230 shinko... I have always said I would keep the Avons, but with 2 bikes I have to look into doing more with less...lol Jamie we need to get a Virginia meet up out at Colonial Beach this year.. 1st year I had the only max out there. Last year we had 3...

I think one of the biggest things for me this spring will be seeing the difference in a Venom tire and the 230 shinko... I have always said I would keep the Avons, but with 2 bikes I have to look into doing more with less...lol Jamie we need to get a Virginia meet up out at Colonial Beach this year.. 1st year I had the only max out there. Last year we had 3...

I think you will really like the shinkos, I ran them before I went to radials. Really grippy tire, that I really liked.....even great grip in the rain. I had complete confidence in them.

I can tell a big difference on the gen 2 with the shinkos being a sticker tire . I will stick with shinkos pun intended Yes James a colonial beach Va meet would be great maybe a camp but I enjoyed the hotel (Day's inn ) in Fredericksburg with a nice ride to the beach ..

So far.. New tires (Shinko's front and rear) mounted in December.
For Spring 2016:
New rotors all around.
New break pads fronts.. Already have new set in the rear.
Replace spark plug caps and wires.
Mount replacement muffler and headers.

Need to: inspect possibly replace, starter clutch.

want to: strip and re-clear scoops.
want to: paint engine, but don't want to remove from bike. don't have the tools or resources to do it the right way. just trying to make it look a little cleaner. :biglaugh:

Last edited:
I can't wait for the warmer weather to start on the bikes.. Every day I drive home thinking I could start on this.. Then it hits me, they are both packed in a small shed. New spark plug caps should be here next week, need to get on the hwy pegs so I can tighten up the stuff on the 90 since I put my engine guard on the 95....

2016: Some maintenance, some mods, nothing drastic just improving some functionality.

Maintenance:
1) Replacing steering head bearings/ races
2) Drain and fill radiator
3) Drain and fill forks & lengthen spring spacer for more range for Sean's fork spring adjusters.

Mods:
1) Givi B47 top case to fit on Cycleistic rack for touring mode
2) Givi A-31 windshield
3) Metzler 880 tires f & r (longer wear treads for trip to Newfoundland)

Back