1989 vmax restoration

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Reaction score
hello all, I am currently on the home stretch of a restoration project, my 1989 vmax red/black/grey. I have wanted a vmax for quite some time primarily cause it just looks bad ass . period.

I purchased the morely's muscle carb kit from sean a little while ago and we spent some time discussing this project and other bikes as well. during that conversation sean attempted to educate me as to some of the differences between my '89 and later production vmax's. Because our conversation covered much ground, Im afraid I did not retain all of this information.

apparently there were some known issues with early vmax motors that were corrected in later production years.

my question for the vmax maniac's and gurus'

1. what are the changes made to later production vmax motors??

2. what corrections/modifications should I be making while I have my vmax torn down to frame and motor??

3. in what year were these changes made to stock bikes

I am attempting to put together my bullet list of items to complete and I know there is much I am unaware of in terms of differences in older and newer vmax motors. I dont want to find out about these important motor protecting modifications when I have put her all back together, or worse blown it up.

For me, as an amature restoration nut, these projects take a painfully long time to complete. But once Im done .... the job is totaly fully absolutely completed.

I would like to get 'er done.
any and all help would be appreciated.

Replace anything rubber. O-rings, oil seals, gaskets, brake lines, brake caliper seals, clutch piston seals, master cylinder buckets and seals, engine mounts etc. etc. etc. Any rubber component.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back