Please help. Knock/slip at high speed??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanneal

Reaction score
Stock
24,000 miles.
All original parts.

When running over 65mph, 5th gear... rpms somewhere around the standard 4,000 or wherever it is at that speed...

anyway, I hammer the throttle, and moments later I may, or may not, hear and feel a single KICK. This noise is occurring somewhere over 70 mph. It almost sounds like the sound the kickstand makes when it swings up. Anyway, it doesn't happen 100% of the time I hammer the throttle in the manner described... but it DOES happen EVERY RIDE, and multiple times per ride/stop/start.

I've tried to watch the tach as I hammered the throttle, but that is dangerous to take eyes off road at that speed. However, in one instance I noticed the rpms speed rapidly from 5k to 7k after the KICK sound, and before Vboost kicked in.

So, I'm wondering if I have a clutch going out, what else to check, what a good replacement would be, etc etc. Note, I did recently attempt some burnouts, so maybe I pushed the baby too far.

I can't say for certain that this hasn't happened in lower gears too... Im just beginning to record the events as I hear the KICK sound going forward.

Thoughts?

Sounds like the clutch. It shows itself in the higher gears first.

If it is the clutch, adding a passenger or around 150 pounds and doing a higher gear roll on should make it very clear. The bike will rev but be very slow to gain speed. I noticed this problem on a ride with my Wife but it was post dyno run. CaptainKyle and I went into my 94 after it dyno'd at only 101 RWHP and replace the rear Half Disk, Mic'd the others, Roughed up the metal plates and all has been well since. Never Dyno'd it again but I believe it would do better than 101 now.

Dave

Thanks. I actually Dyno'd the bike a couple of months ago, and it was fine at 110 RWHP.
I suppose I can ask the shop to check again before I invest in the new clutch.

I've never known clutch slipping to cause a klunking noise. They simply slip and the revs climb NOTICEABLY. Without other info, sounds more like what the second gear does when the dogs are going south.

Latest posts

Back