Water Pump Bearing and Seals

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liptoss

Reaction score
I just completed a rebuild of my '06 water pump. I followed the shop manual and the great photo step by step posted on this forum.
I have a couple of questions for others that have completed this task.
In the '01-'06 Service Manual, Water Pump Assembly section, it states gently tap the bearing into place until it is flush with the water pump housing.
I purchased the Yamaha bearing with the identical part number as the step by step in this forum lists. I double checked this.
Silly me, I can't recall IF the factory bearing I removed was flush prior to punching it out. Has anyone else found it difficult to fully seat the bearing so it is flush to the water pump housing? The bearing I've installed sits a wee bit above the water pump housing when fully set.
In the older service manual for '85 to '00, there is no such statement AND the drawn diagrams that are provided shows a bit of the bearing still above the housing.
Second question, has anyone else found that when final assembling of the impeller shaft through the mechanical, oil and bearing and applying the retaining C clip that they had to apply enough pressure to move the impeller shaft in about an 1/8" before you can see the c clip groove that rides next to the bearing? PHEW!

I just completed a rebuild of my '06 water pump. I followed the shop manual and the great photo step by step posted on this forum.
I have a couple of questions for others that have completed this task.
In the '01-'06 Service Manual, Water Pump Assembly section, it states gently tap the bearing into place until it is flush with the water pump housing.
I purchased the Yamaha bearing with the identical part number as the step by step in this forum lists. I double checked this.
Silly me, I can't recall IF the factory bearing I removed was flush prior to punching it out. Has anyone else found it difficult to fully seat the bearing so it is flush to the water pump housing? The bearing I've installed sits a wee bit above the water pump housing when fully set.
In the older service manual for '85 to '00, there is no such statement AND the drawn diagrams that are provided shows a bit of the bearing still above the housing.
Second question, has anyone else found that when final assembling of the impeller shaft through the mechanical, oil and bearing and applying the retaining C clip that they had to apply enough pressure to move the impeller shaft in about an 1/8" before you can see the c clip groove that rides next to the bearing? PHEW!

memory is fuzzy but i feel like i remember the same thing on my '03, that it didnt' seem fully seated, but i pressed it as hard as i dared and concluded that there was a lip in there or something and it was sitting as it should.

When putting in a bearing like that one, put it in the freezer the night before. Driving it in will go nice and easy. You'll feel the solid thump when it's seated, and feel it a lot better when it's cold and shrunk. When temps equalize, everything is nice and tight. Shrink fit.

OK great thanks all. I could hear the difference as I tapped it "gently" (as the shop manual says) into place and it bottomed on the shoulder.
No more leak from weep hole. No more tap tap when cold either.

Latest posts

Back