Gas Tank Reconditioning (POR-15) Non-Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga_max

Reaction score
My son finally got his first motorcycle. It's a 1997 Suzuki Katana 600F. It has seen better days but it was not very expensive and seems to run ok. To get it ready for the road we've put on a new rear tire, changed all the fluids and sync'd the carbs. In the process of all this we noticed that the gas tank was very rusty. We ordered some POR-15 and while we wait for delivery we thought we'd start the process with 'Evapo-Rust' to start the cleaning process. The problem we are having is closing the openings in the tank for the sending unit and the petcock. I tried duck tape but that started leaking right away. While I can put the components back on I can't do that when I seal it. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Doug

Try using some 1" or 2" x 1/8" aluminum bar stock. Some 6 x 12 mm screws for each component, and you have your needed block-off plates. Use a bit of RTV sealant on the bar stock before placing it and bolting it down.

The sending unit female fitting may require some sort of plug, see what they have at a good hardware store in the same size. Maybe at a marine supply store?

Latest posts

Back