My Vmax performing like a 500cc

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did you use for a cleaning solution in the ultrasonic cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simple green. this was after ai already cleaned them manually with carb cleaner... so it didnt do much for me, but i used it on the airbox clamps and it worked like a charm. also when i used it onthe carbs, my concentration wasn't 50%, it was way less.. didnt realize til later, but regardless they were already shiny, put lots of hours into that.. most of you would be laughingd out very loud for what i put into the carbs this go-around.. good thing is, i know them so much better the 2nd time.

So I pulled diaphragm cover off the front left.. sure enough, the diaphragm wasn't in the groove all the way around, so put that into position and cover back on, started up the bike..

seems to be running really smokey, rich? Now, I sitll have to sync it, finalize A/F screw settings, set idle screw as well.

I tried to run it wihtout choke, but realy wouldn't, so I twisted idle screw (which simply seems to give it "throttle", like pulling on throttle cable a little bit), and had it up pretty good, but the bike wasn't running without choke,,it'd die out. also without driving it, the battery isnt exactly lasting forever to keep starting it up, again, and again...

Now I also got some other issues...exhaust seems to be coming out from the back of the motor, I'll try to get a good video if the sun is out today...the garage I have has no lights hardly, kinda dark in there to really work on stuff.. sucks.

Anyways let's get this thing running well first... all slides are moving now, I sitll have the airbox off, and throttle cables not hooked up yet. I can do that today, and upload a update video for ya'll to check out. Ok, expect it after work today, thanks.

So I pulled diaphragm cover off the front left.. sure enough, the diaphragm wasn't in the groove all the way around, so put that into position and cover back on, started up the bike..

seems to be running really smokey, rich? Now, I sitll have to sync it, finalize A/F screw settings, set idle screw as well.

I tried to run it wihtout choke, but realy wouldn't, so I twisted idle screw (which simply seems to give it "throttle", like pulling on throttle cable a little bit), and had it up pretty good, but the bike wasn't running without choke,,it'd die out. also without driving it, the battery isnt exactly lasting forever to keep starting it up, again, and again...

Now I also got some other issues...exhaust seems to be coming out from the back of the motor, I'll try to get a good video if the sun is out today...the garage I have has no lights hardly, kinda dark in there to really work on stuff.. sucks.

Anyways let's get this thing running well first... all slides are moving now, I sitll have the airbox off, and throttle cables not hooked up yet. I can do that today, and upload a update video for ya'll to check out. Ok, expect it after work today, thanks.
It won't run worth a damn with the airbox off.

Ok so put the airbox back on, hooked up throttle linkage. I can start the bike no problem, but it wont stay running. Crank the throttle and it dies. Gotta keep it on Choke just to run. Buddy and I checked out fuel lines. seems like starving for fuel. there is virtually NO gas in the filter. I mentioned this in my vid but no one really said anything about possibility of a faulty fuel pump? Its running, but not functioning...if that makes sense.. its making noise, but not pumping... we pulled the line from tank to filter and filled filter with gas. turned bike on and it sucked it right up.. i checked line from filter to gas and sucked up gas easily manually, like a straw.. so that is fine. hook back up to filter and turn key, watch pump line and NOTHING is getting drawn into filter... NOTHING..

22 bucks Ebay for new pump, on it's way, be here Tuesday. I hope when I get that thing installed, she'll turn into the monster she once was, and i've perhaps never seen...?!

got more issues to tackle, but maybe i can at least get to the point of setting idle screw... then A/F, then sync... or is that wrong order.. dunno.. anyways here she sits.

are there threads on replacing fuel pump? might as well do my research now.... i know where it is, seems quite simple.

Also my Coolant cap is broken,, well, cracked pretty good. I have some adhesive to glue it up, i'm sure that will work well,, but.. shoudl deal with that soon as possible i suppose...

Ok so put the airbox back on, hooked up throttle linkage. I can start the bike no problem, but it wont stay running. Crank the throttle and it dies. Gotta keep it on Choke just to run. Buddy and I checked out fuel lines. seems like starving for fuel. there is virtually NO gas in the filter. I mentioned this in my vid but no one really said anything about possibility of a faulty fuel pump? Its running, but not functioning...if that makes sense.. its making noise, but not pumping... we pulled the line from tank to filter and filled filter with gas. turned bike on and it sucked it right up.. i checked line from filter to gas and sucked up gas easily manually, like a straw.. so that is fine. hook back up to filter and turn key, watch pump line and NOTHING is getting drawn into filter... NOTHING..

22 bucks Ebay for new pump, on it's way, be here Tuesday. I hope when I get that thing installed, she'll turn into the monster she once was, and i've perhaps never seen...?!

got more issues to tackle, but maybe i can at least get to the point of setting idle screw... then A/F, then sync... or is that wrong order.. dunno.. anyways here she sits.

are there threads on replacing fuel pump? might as well do my research now.... i know where it is, seems quite simple.

Also my Coolant cap is broken,, well, cracked pretty good. I have some adhesive to glue it up, i'm sure that will work well,, but.. shoudl deal with that soon as possible i suppose...

Back to page #73-------Open the drain screws on the fuel bowls to see if there is gas- battery sound weak.
How about a shot of the carbs in the boots- sounds like they need to go down a bit farther.
^This is how you check the fuel pump. When you turn the screw on the carb to see if anything comes out of the drain hose.
The pump you ordered on Ebay you can take apart and buy pulling the large rubber diaphragm though it now your stock bracket will work on it and you can get rid of the bracket it comes with.
Coolant cap does not have to be Vmax as I got one from a snowmobile. Most with the yamaha logo work.
To remove fuel pump remove faux tank lid,gas lines, 4 10mm bolts holding the bracket and slide the key lock pin for the faux tank out. Keep a good eye on how it went in.

Back to page #73-------Open the drain screws on the fuel bowls to see if there is gas- battery sound weak.
How about a shot of the carbs in the boots- sounds like they need to go down a bit farther.
^This is how you check the fuel pump. When you turn the screw on the carb to see if anything comes out of the drain hose.
The pump you ordered on Ebay you can take apart and buy pulling the large rubber diaphragm though it now your stock bracket will work on it and you can get rid of the bracket it comes with.
Coolant cap does not have to be Vmax as I got one from a snowmobile. Most with the yamaha logo work.
To remove fuel pump remove faux tank lid,gas lines, 4 10mm bolts holding the bracket and slide the key lock pin for the faux tank out. Keep a good eye on how it went in.

Ok, forgot to mention.. I did that. front right carb didnt have gas from what I coiuld tell was coming out. The other 3 did have a little. I remember doing this before the rebuild, when I took carbs out,there wasn't much in there, but some. When I turn key on, and filter disconnected from line to tank, shouldn't a guy feel some pumping during that noisey time?

We felt nothing on there.. the filter isn't filling.. what else would it be if my pump is good? why wont this thing run unless choked? any other reason? rebuild carbs, float levels set per sticky, etc....

shouildn't that pump be filling the filter? maybe the filter design is plugging up route to pump? i will try to see if pump sucking on pump-side of filter...
hmm..

wait no, i checked the gas level in carbs after rebuild, when you told me to.... there wasn't much, but not empty on 3 of them... so maybe pump working.. but dunno what else it could be.

Take the gas line off of the carbs and put the hose in a can and turn the key on.
It should flow a steady stream if not you have done the right thing ordering the new one. I have 2 I have rebuilt that were intermittently working as yours probably is too.
The one you are getting from Ebay is going to be louder so no mistake as to whether it is working or not.

Take the gas line off of the carbs and put the hose in a can and turn the key on.
It should flow a steady stream if not you have done the right thing ordering the new one. I have 2 I have rebuilt that were intermittently working as yours probably is too.
The one you are getting from Ebay is going to be louder so no mistake as to whether it is working or not.

Thanks man, I'll try that tonight.

Rig up a gravity feed jerry can.
I have an old, plastic tank from a lawnmower I use for this type of stuff. Even had a shutoff valve inline when I yanked it from the mower.

That will tell the tale right away.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yep a can of gas feeding the pump will quickly let you know if it's doing it's job or not.

Have you checked the flow of the fuel pipe from the tank? I had similar issue with my Max and the fuel pipe was clogged at it's base, inside the tank. Try blowing back thru it by mouth, with the cap off and the gas should bubble easily.
I used a piece of bicycle cable like a roto-rooter to succesfully clean it out.

Have you checked the flow of the fuel pipe from the tank? I had similar issue with my Max and the fuel pipe was clogged at it's base, inside the tank. Try blowing back thru it by mouth, with the cap off and the gas should bubble easily.
I used a piece of bicycle brake cable like a roto-rooter to succesfully clean it out.

Take your fuel pump off and take it apart-not hard to do just a few screws- You are going to find 2 small round rubber diaphragms with dome tops that have flipped upside down. Turn them over and put it back together.

You guys are like, a frickin' Bible for these machines. Dang. Walking service manuals, and then some. I gotta make it to one of these rallies some year and let you guys have your way with my Vmax...

I used a piece of bicycle brake cable like a roto-rooter to succesfully clean it out.

I sucked up gas manually, like to my lips, as bad as that sounds.. didnt think of blowing air through it though... but didnt take much pressure, felt that warm gas all over my mouth in no time.... lol... ok now that's goin a bit far... but yeah, line should be clear.

You guys are like, a frickin' Bible for these machines. Dang. Walking service manuals, and then some. I gotta make it to one of these rallies some year and let you guys have your way with my Vmax...

I haven't been to a rally yet but I will say they are 2 here that I can't wait to meet.

just got the new pump here at work.

Do i have to take the airbox off in order to disconnect the plug and connect new one? I had a hard time getting that airbox on. Was tough getting booties onto carbs. we took out the individual booties and slipped them on the carb, zip tied them closed up a bit to fit thru airbox bottom, puleld them through and worked the plastic bottom past the notch... re hooked up the plastic parts connecting the sides, etc.. it was tough.

anyways I'm assuming I gotta do that too. prolly gonna be easier to work around anyways, that everything is a tight fit with the Vmax it seems.

Attachments

• IMG_4785[1].jpg
    IMG_4785[1].jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 18
just got the new pump here at work.

Do i have to take the airbox off in order to disconnect the plug and connect new one? I had a hard time getting that airbox on. Was tough getting booties onto carbs. we took out the individual booties and slipped them on the carb, zip tied them closed up a bit to fit thru airbox bottom, puleld them through and worked the plastic bottom past the notch... re hooked up the plastic parts connecting the sides, etc.. it was tough.

anyways I'm assuming I gotta do that too. prolly gonna be easier to work around anyways, that everything is a tight fit with the Vmax it seems.

No you do not have to take the airbox off- follow the wires from the fuel pump and you will find the end plug black 2 prong connector on the right side along the upper frame. You are going to need longer gas line to fit this pump on-There is a way to change the original bracket to the new pump if you are interested.

Back