Buying Tips?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizzman

Reaction score
I'm going to look at a '92 VMax and want to know what to look for. It's got 41k miles on it. I know to check for slipping out of second gear. What else? It has some damage, broken rear turn signal and chrome cap broken off the end of the throttle. Otherwise it seems to be in decent shape. He's asking $2800.

Any thoughts?

For a 92 with 41K I think $2500 would be better. I paid $3300 for my 94 with 17k miles. I probably paid too much but I'd do it again in a heart beat. Good luck.

I'm going to look at a '92 VMax and want to know what to look for. It's got 41k miles on it. I know to check for slipping out of second gear. What else? It has some damage, broken rear turn signal and chrome cap broken off the end of the throttle. Otherwise it seems to be in decent shape. He's asking $2800.

Any thoughts?

He has a few extras on it-backrest and seat looks cut down-$2800 obo- Not a bad asking price and 41k just getting going. I would offer $2500 since he has obo and pay anywhere between that and $2800. He has fixed the turn signal. Good looking bike.

https://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/5711203055.html

He has a few extras on it-backrest and seat looks cut down-$2800 obo- Not a bad asking price and 41k just getting going. I would offer $2500 since he has obo and pay anywhere between that and $2800. He has fixed the turn signal. Good looking bike.

https://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/5711203055.html

Thanks, the turn signal is functional, but fixed with ducktape or electrical tape or something. I'm not sure yet if anything else was scratched or something.

I don't like backrests on bikes unless I'm taking a trip. Would the stock grab bar be removed to install the backrest? Having both would be cool. I could swap it out for the occasion.

Yes, the stock grab bar is a total separate piece from the sissy bar.

The turn signals mount up on the grab bar/sissy bar. If you have an extra set it makes swapping pretty quick.

Thanks, the turn signal is functional, but fixed with ducktape or electrical tape or something. I'm not sure yet if anything else was scratched or something.

I don't like backrests on bikes unless I'm taking a trip. Would the stock grab bar be removed to install the backrest? Having both would be cool. I could swap it out for the occasion.
Swapping out the backrest for the grab bar is PITA. You won't do it twice.

It's definitely not a quick swap, I would only do it when changing out the rubber on your rear, alot easier at that point. In the mean time live with one or the other you prefer. I have a back rest and 6 pack rack full-time even though i havent had a passenger on it in over 2 years.

I went and checked it out. The paint on the fenders and faux tank is nice. The forks and engine are quite chipped and scratched. The shift lever is bent pretty good, still usable, but ugly. There are a bunch of brackets on it that were for a windshield that got broke a long time ago, and some glued on pads to steady it. All in all not a great looking bike. Better pictures could have shown that better.

I took it for a ride and got it on the highway. I rolled the throttle wide open in second several times to check that it doesn't pop out. Everything was good there. It seemed to run smooth with no missing or coughing or hiccups.

I was expecting a bit more power, honestly. It's the first time I rode a V-Max, and it certainly wasn't weak. It seemed stronger than the V65 Magna I used to ride, but not a whole lot more. :confused2: I think my Warrior pulled harder up to 50 or 60, more torque than the V-Max but less HP. The Max definitely pulls harder at the top end though.

I'm gonna pass on this one, or at least wait and see if something nicer comes along.

Thanks everyone for the info and opinions.

I went and checked it out. The paint on the fenders and faux tank is nice. The forks and engine are quite chipped and scratched. The shift lever is bent pretty good, still usable, but ugly. There are a bunch of brackets on it that were for a windshield that got broke a long time ago, and some glued on pads to steady it. All in all not a great looking bike. Better pictures could have shown that better.

I took it for a ride and got it on the highway. I rolled the throttle wide open in second several times to check that it doesn't pop out. Everything was good there. It seemed to run smooth with no missing or coughing or hiccups.

I was expecting a bit more power, honestly. It's the first time I rode a V-Max, and it certainly wasn't weak. It seemed stronger than the V65 Magna I used to ride, but not a whole lot more. :confused2: I think my Warrior pulled harder up to 50 or 60, more torque than the V-Max but less HP. The Max definitely pulls harder at the top end though.

I'm gonna pass on this one, or at least wait and see if something nicer comes alonglrea.

Thanks everyone for the info and opinions.

Most likely for the best then. I think if I were going to buy a Gen 1, I'd want some
mods already done. It's usually cheaper than doing them later on.

I'm not very close for you to look at them but I have a few on hand we're going to be selling.

Back