Tips for a 6'8" rider

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mundmc

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been lurking the forums for a bit, trying to find ways to make my VMax more, um, fitting. It's my first motorcycle. I don't care if people say it's a horrible first motorcycle, I love it.

Before I bought it, I used http://cycle-ergo.com/ to see how I would fit, and it's pretty accurate:
8e72ab2f24d66af23ebae3b550850c0b.jpg

My main questions are
1) Merits of lowering pegs vs forward controls (http://m.ebay.com/itm/111500554340?_mwBanner=1).

2) Detachable windshield! Once I'm over 60mph, the wind really tries to blow me off.

Other options include seats and handlebars.

Input appreciated!

Forward controls would probably give you a more comfortable leg position. There are quite a few windshield options, but you might need to get a custom height for the screen as the stock height will probably direct the wind at your chest and head.

Forward controls would probably give you a more comfortable leg position. There are quite a few windshield options, but you might need to get a custom height for the screen as the stock height will probably direct the wind at your chest and head.

Yeah, I'm concerned the biggest windshield I can find will just direct all the air directly into my helmet. I wear a full face on the highway, so it might be tolerable. Will look into it.

I am 10" shorter than you which puts me at average height. The stock shield redirects airflow to where it hits my full face helmet, however I can still crouch under the air stream but I isn't the most comfortable. At your height I wouldn't even try the stock one, I doubt you would be able to duck under the airstream. I have seen some pics of some fairly large shields here on the forum, hopefully one of the owners sees this thread and can chime in with more info. You could always pm someone if you see a pic that seems like a viable solution, this is probably the best forum on the internet when it comes to helpful people.

my suggestion would be get a Corbin seat they are a little taller which will give you and extra inch or two between your butt and your pegs, they are wider too helps support your legs too and they are cheap and plentiful on the used market so if you don't like it you can surely sell it and no harm done

Maybe dannymax will chime in, he had a good windshield model for these bikes.
Stock one for sure won't help you.
I like drag bars (I'm just short of 6'5" , made bike more comfortable, but you can also try bar risers. Depends how you feel on the bike.

Get the givi ar46 that I have or the givi universal one that Brian had on redbone for our Canadian invasion trip this summer.

Get the givi ar46 that I have or the givi universal one that Brian had on redbone for our Canadian invasion trip this summer.

I just googled "giv ar 46" and got nothing, can you point me in a direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my suggestion would be get a Corbin seat they are a little taller which will give you and extra inch or two between your butt and your pegs, they are wider too helps support your legs too and they are cheap and plentiful on the used market so if you don't like it you can surely sell it and no harm done

It looks like the "new" Corbin is lower than the original, though there's a used one on eBay for $250 OBO https://www.ebay.com/itm/162038368050 , is that a decent deal? Only one pic there.

I think Danny was running the same windshield as I am, the Memphis shades classic deuce. Its mounts are adjustable, so you can put it as high as you like!

I think Danny was running the same windshield as I am, the Memphis shades classic deuce. Its mounts are adjustable, so you can put it as high as you like!

Memphis shades sounds fimaliar :ummm:

It looks like the "new" Corbin is lower than the original, though there's a used one on eBay for $250 OBO https://www.ebay.com/itm/162038368050 , is that a decent deal? Only one pic there.

I have a newer version with the gas velcro plug and it is definitely taller than the original.It was one of the determining factors for me buyibng the corbin since I am 6'1.

So the new one is advertised as 1" lower than stock. Brad Bruggeman, when you say "original", do you mean "stock", or "original Corbin"? Thanks in advance.

I think 250 is a little high, not sure why a new Corbin in shorter mine is older and feels taller maybe because it's wider, I think John Furbur had a few on FB he was selling cheaper, you could ask Sean Morley or CaptianKyle too they may have some used one's keep looking they come up for sale quite often, and good luck

I'm 6'5" and did run a Memphis Shades, Classic Deuce, then switched to this MRN for awhile and liked it a lot. Not so big as to be obnoxious but the little lip on the top pulls the wind (most of it anyhow) up and over your helmet.

Attachments

• 100_3349.jpg
    100_3349.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 23
So the new one is advertised as 1" lower than stock. Brad Bruggeman, when you say "original", do you mean "stock", or "original Corbin"? Thanks in advance.

I am 6'1 and with the original stock seat my feet were flat on the ground.Now,with my Corbin ,which I purchased new in sept 07 I have to tip toe.I guess that could be due to it being wider and causing your legs to out a little before they go down(driver's saddle is app.16 inches wide at the widest point).But that it makes it so much more comfortable while cruising,especially if you have highway pegs on the crash bar.The Corbin craddles you in a good position for cruising.I believe the Corbin is the right choice if you are tall.

Yep, pretty sure thats it. IMO a windshield on a vmax takes away from its killer looks, but you can't beat the wind/bug protection.

I have been looking for a new windshield.Does the Memphis Shades Classic Deuce work with no mods?Signal lights relocated?Is there much adjustment options?I had ordered a National Cycle Sport Shield EX but had to send it back because it wouldn't fit.

I am 6'1 and with the original stock seat my feet were flat on the ground.Now,with my Corbin ,which I purchased new in sept 07 I have to tip toe.I guess that could be due to it being wider and causing your legs to out a little before they go down(driver's saddle is app.16 inches wide at the widest point).But that it makes it so much more comfortable while cruising,especially if you have highway pegs on the crash bar.The Corbin craddles you in a good position for cruising.I believe the Corbin is the right choice if you are tall.

Many thanks, will investigate.

Back