High Beam not working

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotin

Reaction score
I removed my HID from the bike to install my new projector headlight.
Unfortunately when the HID was installed the harness of the headlight was modified. The High Beam indicator is not working and when I check the yellow wire which I expect to be the high beam, I don't get any power there.

I also notice the light on the gauges, speedo and the running turn signal light might be plugged on it, since when I switch the high beam it turned them all off or on.

Yeah what a mess ... Any idea how I could find a way to restore all back to normal ? I checked one hour but with success. I don't know the proper way to start.

#1 thing to do, if you haven't already, is to buy a service manual, Haynes or Clymer. It will be THE BEST money spent , by a very long shot, on your bike.
Then find the original three-pin connector for the headlight, with the black, yellow and green wires, located behind the right hand scoop and shrouding. Confirm that you have power to the green and yellow with the ignition on (and the high-beam switch activated), and that you have good ground at the black. Hopefully all this will be the case, if not, the harness must have been altered farther downstream.
In the original harness configuration, there is nothing wired into the headlight wiring after the connector. Yes, it does sound like you might be faced with a nightmare. Again, locate the original pin connectors for the gauges, speedo, tach and turn/running lights(behind the left and right hand scoop positions), and confirm power to all, when applicable. The wiring diagram for the bike in the manual will identify the colour code for all the circuits involved. In the "worst case" scenario, you may have to make up a new wiring harness, but this shouldn't prove to be difficult. Just do one circuit at a time, before bundling everything together. Good luck! Miles

Hi Miles, I already check the harness based on my Clymer Diagram.
Even switch on I don't get anything on the yellow. I guess you're just right, the harness has been alterned. I noticed the green is coupled with a blue one which sounds weird to me.
Based on the diagram the blue is there to bring the power to the turn signals, gauge and speedo. I guess the mess starts here.

Is the headlight fuse O.K.? This 15 amp fuse is only to be used for the headlight, for safety reasons. If you have found other wires tapped into the green or yellow, they are drawing power thru this fuse as well. Not good!
If the fuse is good, and there is still no power at the headlight connector, check the connections at the starter and headlight dimmer switches. The 12 volt supply may be broken somewhere in that circuit.

Yeah the fuse is ok since I'm getting the low beam.
My problem is only the the high beam switch. I don't get power on the yellow high beam wire whenever I turn on the switch.
I think there might be a cut of the high beam, so I will need to find the source of the high beam wire i think.

Michael, grab the multimeter and check the voltage on the 3 pin headlight connector. If you will not find the votage on the high beam pin then you must
check the high/low beam switch.
Try to check the voltage there.

IMO its a bad high beam wire, from the switch>headlight.

I found the issue :) as expected a modified wiring.
My question is now how I can convert an H4 to a separated High and low beam.
When I do a simple wiring I'm getting a pretty low intensity on both beam.

I'm thinking about a relay setup plugged on the high beam and powered directly by the battery. what do you think ?
Anybody did install a dual headlight with separated beam ?

Thanks

I found the issue :) as expected a modified wiring.
My question is now how I can convert an H4 to a separated High and low beam.
When I do a simple wiring I'm getting a pretty low intensity on both beam.

I'm thinking about a relay setup plugged on the high beam and powered directly by the battery. what do you think ?
Anybody did install a dual headlight with separated beam ?

Thanks

I did on mine, but unfortunately mine came plug and play, I just had to wire a pigtail to the original headlight wiring then just plug it in to the unit. So I'm no help to you.

Attachments

• P1030084.jpg
    P1030084.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 11
  • P1030083.jpg
    P1030083.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 14
3 pics pretty clear for me.
KJShover, do you remember having seen 2 relays and fuses ?

It could look something like that :
h4d-lobeam-switch_0311.jpg

One relay per beam powered by the battery and trigger by the switch.

Nope, it was just an adaptor. I cut the old plug off the bike, soldered and shrink wrapped the new pigtail then plugged it in to the prewired dual set up. took about 10 mins. You can see the pigtail here. 'cept I don't really use crimp connectors.

mkjnhb008s.jpg

I don't think mind is excatly what your talking about though. Its just one bright headlight on low beam, and on high the second bright headlight kicks in. I didn't read your post right. You're looking to use a dual filiment high/low beam in each of your headlights?

same setup than you, since one of my projector is only for high beam.
I thought a direct plug on high beam will be enough but i guess it was too simple.
I get a slow kick in of the hight beam with a lower intensity than expected.

A relay will fix the pb but i thought it could be more simple.

Back