front rim

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn kloker

Reaction score
Has anyone here romoved the cross braces from their front rim so it is just a 5 spoke rim?I have seen pics of other peoples that have done this and it looks really good but I am concerned with losing strenth.I like to wheelie and screw around alot,My wife thinks I'll break it if it gets weaker.Thanks,Shawn

Wow, I've never seen that, but it sounds interesting. It would match my 17 inch rear wheel. Do you have a picture of it that you could post?

I would definitely be interested in some pics of your progress if you decide to go that way

Yeah, I've seen that done. I think it was Walt Bishop. Looked great (it looked RIGHT). No input on how it worked or if it lasted. Judging from the meticulous nature of that bike, I don't think he beat it (like I do!)

After about 15 hours of cutting,sanding and buffing I'm done.These pictures do not show how shiney they really are. I will never do this again! Shawn

Attachments

• buffed rim.jpg
    buffed rim.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 86
  • sanded rim.jpg
    sanded rim.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 91
  • buffed kosman.jpg
    buffed kosman.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 95
NixToy said:
Shawn, why not? Too much time involved? Where was the time spent: cutting & grinding or polishing?
-Nick
Nick,I'll bet I had 20 hours into it.I stripped them last year ,a couple hours to cut them and file them.At least 10 or more hours sanding ,it was hard to get the lines out.I started with 220,320,400,600,800,then 1000.I also have a nice buffer with an 18" arbor so I could reach the whole rim.Its a 1 hp 3600 rpm.I also had to do this to the center of my kosman,it didn't match at all.My tires came yesterday.I am clear coating them today with glisten pc from the por store.I hope I do not screw them up because I'm clearing all my aluminum parts also.I am fed up with polishing parts.I also do not want to invest in chrome because it doesn't make it any faster.I would rather get nitrous or a blower with the money. Shawn

I put both wheels back on my bike tuesday night.The 180/55zr17 kosman went right in,I was concerned that I would have to notch my swingarm.My shocks weren't ready yet so I put on my 11 1/2" struts to ride it home from storage.I also had my exhaust off so I just stuck on the headers and drove it home.Wow does that draw some attention!It really seemed to hook up now with the radials.I tried a few holeshots and it didn't try to wheelie or spin.It just hooked up and hauled ass.I didn't try any radical turns yet because of the struts but it did corner well.My front is also lowered 2" now with racetech 1.0 springs.I can't wait to hit the dragstrip and see what times I can run now.I'll post some new pics as soon as I can get the whole bike cleaned up. Shawn

After some road time I still love it!

Attachments

• new vmax pics007.jpg
    new vmax pics007.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 62
  • new vmax pics005.jpg
    new vmax pics005.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 67
  • new vmax pics006.jpg
    new vmax pics006.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 79
do those cross braces add strenth to the front wheel or are they just for show,how strong are they after they are removed?will they stand the potholed roads in the uk?

pete:party:

Last edited:
ratmax said:
do those cross braces add strenth to the front wheel or are they just for show,how strong are they after they are removed?will they stand the potholed roads in the uk?

pete:party:
I am no engineer but others have done this before me.I try to avoid potholes if possible.We have tons of them in western pa. Shawn:th_biggun:

After about 15 hours of cutting,sanding and buffing I'm done.These pictures do not show how shiney they really are. I will never do this again! Shawn

Here's a pic of my stock front rim and my Kosman converted rear rim.Its now 17x5.5.I think it was $500 to convert this.I think it matches stock pretty good.Its even 3 or 4 pounds lighter than stock.The only thing I do not like are the nuts.You can request welded in instead of bolt in.

Here's a pic of my stock front rim and my Kosman converted rear rim.Its now 17x5.5.I think it was $500 to convert this.I think it matches stock pretty good.Its even 3 or 4 pounds lighter than stock.The only thing I do not like are the nuts.You can request welded in instead of bolt in.

Where are the pics:ummm:

Way down below this.

Attachments

• buffed kosman.jpg
    buffed kosman.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 19
  • buffed rim.jpg
    buffed rim.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IM000567.jpg
    IM000567.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 18