drilling your OEM

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nd4topspd

Reaction score
drilling your OEM ones and/or removing the end caps
Has anyone posted how to do this and how is the sound different?:ummm:

Personally I've heard them and I know this will come across rude but they sound farty... Like air being forced through a small hole.

IMO it's not worth molesting your stock pipes.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 70's Ford Pinto with a rusted out exhaust system sound wise. If you don't like the sound, or lack thereof, from the stock system you would better served to either pick up a set of slip-ons or a new system. IMHO.

I've run the Kerker Slip ons, the Supertrap Slip ons and nothing comes close to my Kerker 4-2-1. Now that the packing is getting thin I like it even more!

I ran the Supertrapps and found them too loud for me. Fine for a blast down the road, but not for proper riding like a few hours at highway speeds.

Now I'm running Jardines and they sound great, nice on idle and acceleration and only really get loud when the motor's screaming in boost. Love them, shame they're discontinued.

I think the Delkevic is going to be the closest soundwise..

I guess the reason I started this thread is because I love the look of the stock exhaust(chrome is my thing)but have always wanted the sound that I hear on utube vids of Mark's and UFO's. Guess I will keep saving my money for the full exhaust:thumbs up:

I guess the reason I started this thread is because I love the look of the stock exhaust(chrome is my thing)but have always wanted the sound that I hear on utube vids of Mark's and UFO's. Guess I will keep saving my money for the full exhaust:thumbs up:

UFO? Blah! Crap! :damn angry:

The delkevics look pretty stock and DO sound MUCH better and are lighter.

Chris

I wish i had a .25 cent every time you say that Chris, but yeah i agree!!!! LOL Ok back to the exhaust if you are on a budget save your coin until you can invest in a full system dont waste your money on slip ons no real performance gains. JIm

If you drill the 1/2'' holes in the exhaust and leave the end caps off, I think that she sounds damn good. I agree with Chris, It sounds like a fart with the caps reinstalled.

I drilled my stockers, and put some spacers between the caps and the mufflers. Took the "farty" sound away. Sounded pretty good, but not even close to my new Marks system.

If you drill the 1/2'' holes in the exhaust and leave the end caps off, I think that she sounds damn good. I agree with Chris, It sounds like a fart with the caps reinstalled.

I agree 100%

I did this mod a couple months ago. It sounds much better than the stock setup. I know a fart can when I hear it, and there is no such comparison with the drilled out stock setup w/o the end caps. I like my exhaust note three fold over what Yamaha gave me from the factory. It is all too personal asking the age old question of "Do you like this....." Many opinions to follow. But that goes back to the fun of trying it for yourself.

I like my new sound and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a little more noise. I took the end caps off, drilled 1/2 inchers and even the other screw holes out a bit. It sounds great. I have had many compliments on it already.

So, do it if you want a different sound for no $. That is the bottom line. May not be the sound for everyone that is a die hard fan of the Max, but it is a great start to modifying your bike by yourself.

Brian

I did drill and spaced my stockers 3 different ways , it sounded like shit with the end cap on and spaced , so I re-riveted it back to stock ! , i also do like the look of the stock exhaust , so i just ordered delkavic mufflers , if they look as good on my bike as they do in the picture I'm set ! ... I'm just looking to make a little noise for safety ! ... I almost got clipped in my left leg by a cager 2 weeks ago go , he was texting !

No inspections here in Michigan. Probably could be an issue for those of you in the coastal states. Good luck.

Back