The chain drive project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting hard to find spare time time at the moment with our house on the market and buying another:bang head:

Anyway I have the swingarm fully functional and mocked up a few pieces.
Apart from checking the fuel tank and performing surgery to it, I really only have to slam it all back together to try it out.

Attachments

• 013 (Large).jpg
    013 (Large).jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 010 (Large).jpg
    010 (Large).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 174
Can't wait! So want to do this to mine, but lack the skill to do it on my own.

About time I updated this.

Today for the first time I actually got chance to slam some more of it together.
It shouldn't be too long now before I can hit the start button.

What has really screwed me up was whilst trying to sort this out we moved to our new house and I had stuff in boxes everywhere and it's taken days to sort all the shit out......I still keep finding bits of Vmax everywhere lol

Shot you a few emails lately and haven't heard back. Used the newer email I had for you?

Hit a slight hurdle for a bit , but now figured it out.
The generator coil and original Vmax F/wheel wont play together because of the
difference with the XVZ1300 stator cover( bigger winding).
I was thinking to use the XVZ winding and the XVZ F/wheel which obviously go together but appears to have different pickup points for the trigger.
I had thoughts of modifying the XVZ wheel to become something similar to the Vmax.
To cut a long story short, the vmax winding sits deeper into the XVZ cover and does not register on the spigot, which actally all works out because I made an adaptor plate and now it all works just like it should.:eusa_dance:

Attachments

• 002 (Large).jpg
    002 (Large).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 003 (Large).jpg
    003 (Large).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
The 86-93 is a direct interchange? Is this from a different year?

The 86-93 is a direct interchange? Is this from a different year?

Yes Sean, it's even slightly more complicated. The engine is basically an XVZ1300
2008 with that year flywheel. The stator cover I bought from Ebay is 2004 which
I believe may have even been different to a 2008 cover as the winding part number is different, so I presume something changed. The 2008 flywheel appears to have a different amount of pickup lobes to my Vmax flywheel. With some engineering I could have made it all work but it weighs a Ton anyway.
The solution I have is perfect with the original Vmax flywheel and winding all fitting together.

I believe so Sean as he has the chromed covers... so later i guess? Venture is not my trade...

EDIT - Disregard as Steve replied while i was typing...

Test fire! Started first attempt:eusa_dance:
Still got some wiring to sort, brake and clutch to hook up but I might get chance
to be a test pilot this weekend.

Jedi,
it looks good ! i have not been on here in awhile and was jumping thru the updates. You may have this but i was wanting to mention you might want to fab a outer support that bolts to the fram then to the final output. alot of torqe is applied there and even some sport bikes have to get heavy duty supports. I have seen the whole fanal drive sprocket area shear off at engeine back with chain drive. especially if you loose a tooth in tranny on take off. the crappy frame moves alot and aluminum motor so it is critical if you ride hard. sorry to spell check aint got time lol see ya awsome work

Jedi,
it looks good ! i have not been on here in awhile and was jumping thru the updates. You may have this but i was wanting to mention you might want to fab a outer support that bolts to the fram then to the final output. alot of torqe is applied there and even some sport bikes have to get heavy duty supports. I have seen the whole fanal drive sprocket area shear off at engeine back with chain drive. especially if you loose a tooth in tranny on take off. the crappy frame moves alot and aluminum motor so it is critical if you ride hard. sorry to spell check aint got time lol see ya awsome work

I think I'm OK, the case machining was not as brutal as the other setups I've seen so far. The integrity of the rear mount is in pretty good shape.
Further back in the posts there's a picture of the cover I made which helps support the output area where the oem out goes , so it ties that area together.
Also I have solid mounts which should aid in support.

I ride fast sometimes but never give my bikes any abuse, I'm confident it won't be a problem.

According with the pics the outer cover is in place so you can have a sealed outer bearing for support of end of pinion shaft and an oil seal on the inside between the gearbox and pinion?

wild weasel,

You are right for a shaft drive but the game changes for a chain drive. Check out some heavy duty after fial drive supports for drag sport bikes. the force applied there is ALOT

So what does it cost parts and labor to convert one? I will be changing my 97 over during the winter months.

Here's an update of the drive sprocket. I felt my gearing was a tad high so I have made another drive sprocket with one less tooth.
You may wonder why I wouldn't simply make another rear sprocket, the reason is I wanted to perfect the front which means any future work with chain drives is even less invasive as to what I machined from my own cases.
A couple of small mods to the design also.It can be swapped out in about 30 mins which is actually less of a hassle than pulling the rear out anyway.
This ratio should be spot on.

Attachments

• 006 (Large).jpg
    006 (Large).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 82
Here's an update of the drive sprocket. I felt my gearing was a tad high so I have made another drive sprocket with one less tooth.
You may wonder why I wouldn't simply make another rear sprocket, the reason is I wanted to perfect the front which means any future work with chain drives is even less invasive as to what I machined from my own cases.
A couple of small mods to the design also.It can be swapped out in about 30 mins which is actually less of a hassle than pulling the rear out anyway.
This ratio should be spot on.

nice!

whats the 'grey/green' type coating? I've noticed the same thing on (i'm assuming hardened) rear spindle on my single-sided swingarm hawkGT.

Latest posts

Back