Project or parts bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobrules

Reaction score
Looking for a mechanic in lower Michigan. I have a 1986 Vmax, someone tried to work on it at some point so what I actually have is an almost complete bike and a lot of parts. Not sure why it;s in pieces but a mechanic told me to sell it for parts. Details: Cams covers were removed,only one sparkplug, clutch removed, wiring disconnected, seat, controls all detached. Cams have surface rust. Mechanic said no oil in crankcase and motor turns hard. Probably been in this state for a couple years. Looking for someone to give a second opinion. Should I put a couple grand into it or look for another bike. I had high hopes for this one. Stuck riding my 83 Virago for now.

Gotta get it back from the shop. I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

Thanks for your reply

Just for me, I have purchased complete basket cases for $500.
It may be simpler for you to just think of a few parts prices like a set of carbs ($250 for good rebuilders), CDI box ($150 minimum), good tin set ($250) and go from there. A motor I assembled, left open with no oil?, I'm writing it off as a rebuilder.

You can do either and just depends on your goals. If you wanted to build one to your tastes then by all means fix that one up. If you just wanted a mostly stock (engined) vmax then part that one out and use the money to buy another one (they part out well and get good money for most of the stuff).

I say part it out - you'll make enough cash to buy a good running one!

Example: I bought an '86 basket case (no bodywork not running) for $650. A few months later, I'd made over $2000 and still had almost half a bike! And that was in FL, and giving/selling a lot of parts really cheap to VMF members here too.. I ended up giving the motor (was a 1300 Venture) away and a whole load more parts too!

Latest posts

Back