Clutch Leaking?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake32

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Just bought a V-Max about a month ago, I had previously been riding crotch rockets... (finally grew out of that stage, thank god) and now im noticing that my clutch is leaking from underneath. Also occasionally the bike doesnt want to shift easily out of 1st when at a stop. Once I bleed the clutch it works fine for a bit but the problem comes back as it leaks and gets air in the line. Also I think my clutch may be slipping, in 4th and 5th gears as I accelerate hard from about 5000rpm to 9000rpm the bike jumps up quickly in rpm but not until about a half second later does the bike really take off. Not sure if thats normal for the bikes to rev up for a split second in 4th and 5th before they really take off or if its clutch slip. Also if its clutch slip could it be caused by the air in my lines? Or do i need a new clutch. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks

Probly have to pull the middle gear cover off and investigate....sounds like the leak is in the slave cylinder area. Don't know about air in the line acting like slippage but don't think so. Could be you need new friction discs and bead plast the steels....should take care of it. Difficulty shifting is common but probly due to air in the line....may also be affected by the type of oil you run. It's a wet clutch system, I run Rotella 15w40 and have no problems shifting.

Welcome.

I'm wondering if it's your slave cylinder. If the banjo bolts are tight then the only place air can get in is through the slave.

Air in the lines would cause the clutch to not engage. Sounds like you need new friction discs and sand blasted steel plates.

I have seen many clutch kits with 7 or 8 plates. Does the number of plates matter, and is a certain number better?

I have seen many clutch kits with 7 or 8 plates. Does the number of plates matter, and is a certain number better?

It depends..lol. In stock Yamaha configeration...the inside disk is a HALF disk, and 7 full size disks. Some people will do the DD mod, do away with the half disk, and have 8 full size disks.

If you do go to a full disc for the last one then make sure you remove the two parts behind that last disc. Otherwise the clutch won't work due to a clearance issue.

Latest posts

Back