Weeping Gas.. Now What???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Max2012

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Have you ever parked your bike, and came back to see tiny drips of gas leaking from your over flow tubes? I put new float valves in last summer and had not seen a problem since then. Now it looks like all 4 are weeping little tiny drips of gas.:ummm:

Do you mean your carby drain tubes? Maybe the drain screws are loose or have bad O-rings. I rebuilt my carbs and can't think of any overflow tubes. I believe if your floats are not sealing that it will just flood the carbs, not drip from anywhere???

Matt

The drain screws on the side drain tubes often harden/crack. Replace those and clean the ends of the screw and the drip will cease.

Not the drain tubes below the float bowl. The overflow elbow tubes at the top of each carb. I have some clear Poly tubing leading down from each one. About 2.5 feet x 4, routed through the bike, ending up near the center stand, about 4 inches from the ground. The previous owner took them off and did not realize what they were for. One day last summer,#2 carb started peeing gas and I was wondering where's that raw fuel smell was coming from. I got to work and my engine was soaked with fuel. I like Nicolas Cage as an actor, and I know they used a Gen2 Vmax in that move, but I don't want the role of Ghost Rider part 3.:biglaugh:

Sounds like a stuck needle was causing the initial overflow issue with #2.

Having the vent hoses below the carbs may be the problem....condensation, siphoning :confused2:....return them to the airbox 'Y', or zip tied to the frame rails and it should stop.

return them to the airbox 'Y'
The manual does not state any setup like this.. Is this what people are doing to theirs?

Wouldn't that be dangerous if any 1 of the 4 needles got stuck in a open position? letting raw fuel collect inside the air box?
Going by the manual, they lead down and away from the bike.

Sounds like a stuck needle was causing the initial overflow issue with #2.
Yes, It was the little wire clip that goes over the adjustment tab that got misaligned. I didn't think it was the that little hard rubber stopper at the top of the needle, since at that time, I put 4 new ones in there. Now I'm wondering if that damn Ethanol is screwing up those hard rubber tips after one year.

Yes, It was the little wire clip that goes over the adjustment tab that got misaligned. I didn't think it was the that little hard rubber stopper at the top of the needle, since at that time, I put 4 new ones in there. Now I'm wondering if that damn Ethanol is screwing up those hard rubber tips after one year.

Not likely after 1 year.

The stock tubes have one way restrictors. The vents need to be near inlet for the carburation to work correctly.

Here is a pic of where the vent tubes should be on a stock bike. On this pic they are not screwed down, but you can see where they should be screwed on the top of the lid.

EDIT*** the 2nd pic shows them screwed to the lid.

Attachments

• CARL-T AIRBOX 01 drpLW.jpg
    CARL-T AIRBOX 01 drpLW.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 33
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Woah!! Wait a minute.. I thought that was only for the California models only.

Should all models have this?.. If so, what is needed?
Mine only has the air box with the Y, No extra connection nipples or adapters leading out of it.
It looks like it feeds back into the air intakes.

The vents need to be near inlet for the carburation to work correctly.

Could this be the culprit why my bike stumbles between 4 and 5K? I've done all sorts of adjustments on the carb needles to eliminate this stumble changed to different mains. After conventional cleaning of carbs 4 times, (Gas station dumped ton of shit in my tank). I removed the tank and did the 3 step tank coating system. I then did Ultra-Sonic cleaning 2 times of all carb parts and Carb body's. That Ultra Sonic cleaner removed shit I could have NEVER been able to clean conventionally. Carb internals looks spotless now. Also checked my coils and wires, but I cannot get that damn 4-5K stumble out. After 5K, the bike pulls like a S.O.B.

Woah!! Wait a minute.. I thought that was only for the California models only.

Should all models have this?.. If so, what is needed?
Mine only has the air box with the Y, No extra connection nipples or adapters leading out of it.
It looks like it feeds back into the air intakes.

Not just CA models....all Max's are set up same vent tube wise. You need stock tubes and metal adapters that attach to the airbox.

PM sent

If I am remembering correctly, seems like Sean made a comment that some bikes won't even run right with out these vent off lines.

If I am remembering correctly, seems like Sean made a comment that some bikes won't even run right with out these vent off lines.

That's true when using stock air box. I didn't use the tubes for stage 7 with air pods. I tried with and w/o on the dyno and on street and didn't notice anything.

Do you ride normally without the Y?

The stock tubes have one way restrictors.

Does the tubes come with one-way restrictors on them?

I have ridden without the Y for about 6 months before going to a Muscle jet kit. I actually gained a couple of HP without the Y.

Not just CA models....all Max's are set up same vent tube wise. You need stock tubes and metal adapters that attach to the airbox.

PM sent

all Max's are set up same vent tube wise. You need stock tubes and metal adapters that attach to the airbox.

2nd PM sent

Latest posts

Back