...and now on to the next problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Hymen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Well at least I got few days of riding before this problem cropped up. I knew it wasn't running right, so popped the plugs and one was wet and the exhaust pipe was cool :teeth angry: . Guessing maybe a coil problem I switched it, the plug and the spark plug wire to a different cylinder to see if the problem followed it. Nope, problem still at the the same cylinder. So I broke out the service manual, and started their ignition check and the resistance values were all OK. :bang head: Now, the only thing I couldn't get a reading on is the pickup coil. There is no way the whole pickup coil pack is bad as the bike shouldn't be able to run. As confirmation, I unplugged it and the bike wouldn't start but plugged it back in and the bike started. What am I missing here?:confused2:

Buster, what's the resistance when you stick the (+) up in the boot and then ground the (-) lead on an engine bolt? Did you try swapping spark plugs? Another thing to try is swapping plug wires.

Mark

Buster, one more thing. Pull the bad plug and then stick it back in the boot and ground it on the engine. Does it fire?

Mark

Well at least I got few days of riding before this problem cropped up. I knew it wasn't running right, so popped the plugs and one was wet and the exhaust pipe was cool :teeth angry: . Guessing maybe a coil problem I switched it, the plug and the spark plug wire to a different cylinder to see if the problem followed it. Nope, problem still at the the same cylinder. So I broke out the service manual, and started their ignition check and the resistance values were all OK. :bang head: Now, the only thing I couldn't get a reading on is the pickup coil. There is no way the whole pickup coil pack is bad as the bike shouldn't be able to run. As confirmation, I unplugged it and the bike wouldn't start but plugged it back in and the bike started. What am I missing here?:confused2:

Buster, what's the resistance when you stick the (+) up in the boot and then ground the (-) lead on an engine bolt? Did you try swapping spark plugs? Another thing to try is swapping plug wires.

Mark

Yes, I swapped everything.

Mine did this last week. i replaced the plug wires, swapped/tested all coils, changed plugs, adjusted valves, none fo which made it better.
took the carbs off and reset all the throttle blades to completely closed, put them on and it fired right up. only thing i can tell is that one was way out of sync and was drowning that cylinder, synced the carbs and it is fine now.

pm me or give me a call if you want more info on how i diagnosed it.

Jarrett

Mine did this last week. i replaced the plug wires, swapped/tested all coils, changed plugs, adjusted valves, none fo which made it better.
took the carbs off and reset all the throttle blades to completely closed, put them on and it fired right up. only thing i can tell is that one was way out of sync and was drowning that cylinder, synced the carbs and it is fine now.

pm me or give me a call if you want more info on how i diagnosed it.

Jarrett

Interesting! I went out to try that today and my daughter had run over my carb sticks with her xr70 and broke them! DOH!:doh: And of course checking all the local bike shops, it will be a week before I can get another set :icon_rolleyes:. Looks like I'll be riding the DRZ400 for another week.

Back