Engine Protection - Frame Sliders Proven!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
I sold a Yamaha FJ 1200 to a friend a couple years ago. I installed some frame sliders just because I wanted a little more protection in case I went down. Well, this morning he rode to work and I noticed the right side was scuffed up. He dropped it. Seems the slider took the brunt of the fall. Could have been so much worse!

I have engine guards on my V-Max, so I'm covered there also.

FJ_sliders_zpsf5p1gvy8.jpg

The engine guard on the VMAX really is for drops at a standstill.

Attachments

• bent guard.jpg
    bent guard.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 81
The engine guard on the VMAX really is for drops at a standstill.

That is definitely good to know. I always thought the way they mounted was a bit of a weak design, especially so knowing the weight of the max.

I had to junk mine this year and swapped to a set of R&G items as the standard items were grounding out on the TT course this year. The R&Gs gave me a little more clearance but now the rearsets are going to be the first victims of any spill.

Still, not intending to lie it down so fingers crossed it never happens.

Last edited:
Actually the Vmax engine guards do their intended job pretty well, I put my 2000 in a ditch a few years ago and if I didn't have them my lower engine
case/stator cover would have been trashed.
But since I did have them, the engine case just got scratched up.
They are obviously intended to bend so they don't bend the frame while still protecting the engine.

Attachments

• Bent-Left-Crash-Guard-.jpg
    Bent-Left-Crash-Guard-.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 45
Exactly! The guards do an EXCELLENT job of protecting the engine at all kinds of speeds. They fold in and against the waterpump and or stator cover and keep it out just enough.

Latest posts

Back