Picked up my FJR Gen1 ABS today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specs95t

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I went and did it. Going to the FJR.

I found a 2004 with 6200 miles on it. The PO put on fresh Michelins as part of the deal and I rode it home today.

Definitely a nice machine that behaves very differently than the hooligan VMax.

What's interesting is that both bikes make 145 hp at the crank, and both are good for my 30" inseam. The rest is way different...

2265d03985fd9efdf82022437661068a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep going.

So I took my wife touring this past weekend on the FJR.

Highs:
Great suspension for two up riding - swallows the bumps
Very surefooted cornering
Speed sneaks up on you - little difference between 60 and 80
Some comfort in knowing ABS is there...
Windshield and front cowl keep most of the rain and road splatter off both rider and passenger
Lots of storage - Givi top case is really nice

Lows:
Not the same low end torque - this is not a V4
Clutch handle is heavier than VMax
I like the look - clean,techno - but it doesn't have the presence of a VMax
Lots of plastic

I am looking to only keep one bike. That was the plan. I want to spend time riding, not servicing two bikes. The FJR has 6,500 miles, the VMax has nothing left undone at 25k...

I have the VMax listed on CL Albany for $3750. The listing includes all of the mods I completed on it over the past year.

On paper, the FJR is all there and if you go two up, it is the right single bike to have.

Thoughts on the VMax: I know that if I sell it, I will miss it.

I sold my 2000 vmax about a year or so ago and I do miss it. Mostly the sound of the v4 and it's legendary status . But I don't miss the rest. If you do alot of two up riding you definitely made the right choice. Plus the FJR is a Yamaha so your still in the family. Have fun on your new bike.

Good combination and choice , keep 'em both .

Formula for the correct # of bikes to own : N + 1
N being the # you currently own.

Attachments

• Rollie In The N.GA. Mountains - BB '02   5.jpg
    Rollie In The N.GA. Mountains - BB '02 5.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Rollie On The Square In Monticello   5.jpg
    Rollie On The Square In Monticello 5.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 32
Took my wife on a little around the street spin on the VMax. What a difference!

The VMax is such a hooligan!

We both really loved the badass feel and sound.

Being able to compare to a different style of bike really makes you appreciate the differences.

I am amazed at how fun both are - for completely different reasons!

Had an '05. Probably the only bike I have ever owned that I am glad is gone. Battery location, fuse location, general lack of grease in all places it should be. On some rare occasions when all the plastic was removed I could see the engine, but worried when a plastic part would snap going back together. FJR forums love them. Iron butt guys depend on them. It was a different experience for me. But good luck with it and I hope you have good riding

I've had 2 Vmax's and 3 FJR's. Love the V4 (had a venture too). Wish that was the engine they would have put in the Fjr. Ha! I've got three different bikes now. Vmax, Harley, FJR. If I had to get rid of two and just keep one it would be the FJR. It does everything you need and then some. Its just as fast as the vmax and is made for traveling too. Just my 2 cents.

I've had 2 Vmax's and 3 FJR's. Love the V4 (had a venture too). Wish that was the engine they would have put in the Fjr. Ha! I've got three different bikes now. Vmax, Harley, FJR. If I had to get rid of two and just keep one it would be the FJR. It does everything you need and then some. Its just as fast as the vmax and is made for traveling too. Just my 2 cents.

I hear you on the FJR. In fact, that is the exact reason I got it.

But...

Just took the VMax out for a little cruise around my neck of the woods. The VMax beats the FJR on fun factor. Having both seems like a really good idea.

The FJR is solid, practical, capable, comfortable and lets you enjoy the scenery.

The VMax is diabolical, raw, frankly a little evil - but in a good way...

What's the saying? The correct number of bikes is N+1?

VMax is the ultimate muscle bike.
FJR is the ultimate sport tourer.

So what do folks have for an off-road machine?

Latest posts

Back