disassembly of the front forks - Yamaha's mystery tool

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gleno

Reaction score
Ok I need advice.

It's time to replace the fork seals on the 88 front end and I'm not going to touch the forks until I get advice on disassembly.

The workshop manual says I need a damper rod holder Part no. YM-01328 and T-handle Part no. YM-01326 to lock the damper rod.

Do I really need the sacred Yamaha tools? or is there a simple way to do this job?

(I did do it a long, long time ago on an RD250 but I don't remember how)

Has anybody done this job recently?

How did you go about it?

Attachments

• fork dis-assembly.jpg
    fork dis-assembly.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 73
Just found this little item in another part of the suspension topic.

Thanks to Buster Hymen for this one.

The "holder" is just an Allen head wrench that you can make yourself. The pre 93 forks (40 mm forks) use a 24 mm size head. You can make one out a bolt with a 24 mm head and weld it or attach it to a piece of rod about 3 feet long. I made my own when I threw in the emulators and springs. I don't have the specs handy for the forks for the 93 and up, but I'll post it when I find it.

I'll do it.

not needed. Simply pull the tube downward while it is still clamped into the bikes tripples then use an impact with allen socket and the bolt will come right out. Same thing to tighten it back up.

Sean

not needed. Simply pull the tube downward while it is still clamped into the bikes tripples then use an impact with allen socket and the bolt will come right out. Same thing to tighten it back up.

Sean

:ummm: What?

Oh I get it. The penny just dropped. Good tip.

Thanks Sean.

Last edited:
So, compress the fork and remove the damper rod using top instead of bottom allen bolt?

Mark

to take apart you pull the assembly apart with your hands (after the springs are removed, fluid drained, and dust seal and wire "snap" clip removed) to put some friction on the bolt. Use an allen socket (8mm?) and an impact and it will pop right loose (the bolt in the bottom that is). Then with the bolt out you can either clamp the upper tube in the tripple or grab it with your hand then with the other hand use the lower housing like you would a slide hammer and "pop" it off the upper tube. Replace the seal and use some PVC to "hammer" the inner slide back in place then reseat the rest of the parts. The bolt can be put back in anytime but it's easier to put the srping in to give some pressure to hold the parts in place to run the bolt down with the impact again.

Sean

Back