Did I hurt her?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srx2002

Reaction score
just the other day I was trying to pass a sportbike, and in my desperation I let my tach climb to " god knows what " I wasn't looking down. Anyway the RPM is pretty damn high and I was just about to shift to 3rd and the Motor suddenly died for a split second...almost like hitting the kill switch.

is that the factory rev limiter kicking in? and more importantly this was the only time I truly pushed it to the limits....you guys thinks I hurt my baby??

just the other day I was trying to pass a sportbike, and in my desperation I let my tach climb to " god knows what " I wasn't looking down. Anyway the RPM is pretty damn high and I was just about to shift to 3rd and the Motor suddenly died for a split second...almost like hitting the kill switch.

is that the factory rev limiter kicking in? and more importantly this was the only time I truly pushed it to the limits....you guys thinks I hurt my baby??

Probably not...

GET A SHIFT LIGHT...:thumbs up:

Yeah, I agree...
I put a Raptor on my '06 and I stopped redlining it. Mounted it right on the side of the speedo and it works great!
They aren't water proof, but I keep the red rubber cap on it and I taped the pin switch port up with a piece of electrical tape. Been through several rain storms and several baths, it's still working great.

Yeah, I agree...
I put a Raptor on my '06 and I stopped redlining it. Mounted it right on the side of the speedo and it works great!
They aren't water proof, but I keep the red rubber cap on it and I taped the pin switch port up with a piece of electrical tape. Been through several rain storms and several baths, it's still working great.

And if you do end up frying it in a rain storm, they will fix it for only $15.00.
Been there done that!:damn angry:

If its still running you are alright.Didn't tag a valve while they were floating.Rods are a weak point too.I have seen mine reved to the moon a few times and never saw a factory rev limiter.Kibblewhite valve springs and a rev limiter are nice after getting a shift light.

ok, so what would cause that " kill switch like effect " when the engine was way up there in RPM?

Some claim the vmax does have a rev limiter.Mine is an 88 and I do not believe that it had one.I missed second gear a couple of times at the strip when I was having gear selecter problems.It reved to the moon.

Maybe the newer bikes with the digital ignitions do have one.Mine has the old analog.

I had mine on a dyno last month. The dude testing the VMAX took the first run and revved it high. And I mean high... I tapped him on the shoulder before the second run, pointed to the tach and said "no rev limiter". Second run he took it easy. I remember it smoking a lot as it revved down from the land above 11,000 RPMs. It took several seconds for the tach needle to come off the 11,000 stop. I have put about 400 miles on her since and no problems. (knock on wood)

FWIW it was a completely stock 2001 model and the dyno claimed 103 hp

And if you do end up frying it in a rain storm, they will fix it for only $15.00.
Been there done that!:damn angry:

That's why I don't ride mine in the rain...:whistlin:

Oh wait... I don't ride mine at all...:bang head: :bang head:

Truely had the shift light on for maybe 6 months and have yet to use it...:bang head:

My 99 as far as I could tell had no rev limiter; had it over 11,000 several times.

The Dyna 3000 has a very nice rev limiter. It doesn't kill it like a kill switch just makes it "stutter"

Ditto on the raptor shift light also, and it's for sure not waterproof, i taped mine up like a previous poster did and works great for two years now.

Latest posts

Back