widest 170 80 15

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramingspeed

Reaction score
looking to get the widest tire on the stock rim.
I know this topic is beat to death,but it seems that one brands 170 may be wider than anothers.which has been found to be the widest.

A Metzler Marathon 180 fits the stock wheel and swing-arm. A washer swap might be needed,and people have done it . I've run 170 15"Shinko Tour Masters with no issue or washer swap. I think with the stock wheel width, 170 15" is a better choice. The 180 fits a 5 1/2" width wheel right.

Yeah,don't want to go to a 180.just wondering which of the commonly used 170's is the widest.I'll be using a notched arm.

Can a 180 really be safe on a rim designed for a 150? I know people use 160 and 170 but I've never heard of anyone using bigger without changing a wheel. Why does anyone spend money on wheels for a 180 f you don't have to? 30mm is over an inch wider than a stock tire, seems drastic. I'm not being smart here, I am actually wanting to know the answer.

Matt

well 170 is the widest that you can fit a 170 Bias ply tire.....A 180 RADIAL will fit, if you buy a rim designed for a radial.

So.....some of it is 170mm VS 180mm...but most is Radial VS Bias ply.

I've got a 17" by 180 tire mounted in a stock swing arm. I've got 4mm space between the arm and tire. A 190 would almost squeeze in there. With a notch, no problem, or a washer swap. The 17" does fit a little different. I like the way she handles with the 180 back and 120 front though.

Latest posts

Back